Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Okay, fine, I'm going to taper

It does seem a little silly to taper for a race in which I don't even plan to run hard, but I will anyway. I'm going to consider it the beginning of my three months of low-key training - back to base-building.

The plan for New York is to run happily with Danielle and Wendy. Wendy will most likely be running a little faster than she's accustomed to (though since she's been training with us, she's ready for it!) and Danielle and I will likely be running a little slower than we possibly could. The point, of course, is to enjoy our fitness, New York, and each other. And that said, it's still a marathon - it's no walk in the park!

I already built a reasonable plan that included a taper into my training diary, but like most athletes, I'm catching myself trying to sneak in more mileage and more workouts. So I'm going to stop that and focus on two things:

Dropping the volume
Maintaining the intensity

For this week and next, at least; the third week leading into the marathon will drop the intensity, too. I did a lot of reading yesterday about tapers, and overall, this is what I distilled the advice to. So tomorrow I'm going to run my 6 miles with the gals, but only do 15 minutes of some kind of intense running. And Saturday's run will only be 13 miles.

And then, after November 5, I go into my off season. I've been telling people I was going to workout like a "normal" person - which I define as one hour a day, five days a week. (John says "normal" is actually no exercise, but we all know I can't do that.) But I also think I can't do five days a week, one hour a day. So I've got a new plan, and I'm interested in your feedback.

Three days a week: Strength-training, 30-45 minutes per session
Monday and Friday: Indoor cycling
Wednesday: Either indoor cycling or club ride if the weather is decent
Tuesday and Thursday: Run with the girls
Thursday: 15-30 minutes of FAST running (so one tempo run per week)
Saturday: Either a longer bike or run, depending on my mood and my friends. "Longer" for a run would be 10-12 miles, "longer" for bike would be 30-40 miles. So nothing super intense.
Sundays: Off, family day

So this works out to be between 9 and 10 hours per week and totally fits into my work schedule (yeah, work is about to get busy again - what nice timing for my triathlon season! I was so slow all summer while racing!). Thoughts? Am I so far gone I no longer understand what normal exercise is, or what rest is?

Oh, and speaking of rest: On Wednesdays I work out at noon, so I can be home with the family in the morning (husband's request). Last night I went to bed at 9:30 and didn't get up this morning until 6:30! Nine hours of sleep! That's unheard of for me. So maybe I do need to taper, or sleep some more. :-)

3 comments:

Aleks said...

I'm impressed, except that I fail to see how this is different from what we're doing now? Except that we're doing a longer run on Saturdays... :)

Regan said...

Good for you, Jessica! Nice that you break it down and know, at least intellectually, the need for base building. As someone used to two hours minimum a day, I know how hard that is! I need to figure this out as well for after my half-marathon.

Regan

LoneStarCrank said...

Your "off season" plan is making me tired looking at it. BTW, ditto on the one morning a week at home with the family. I've been getting that request too. You mean everybody doesn't like to wake up at 4.30am to go workout?