Sunday, March 18, 2007

Week 1 wrap-up

My Ironman training weeks will usually end on Saturdays; Sundays are planned as family and recovery days. However, this weekend since the kids were out of town, I planned my long ride for today.

We did just 40 miles in three hours; it was a hilly route, and we stuck to a comfortable pace. It was just Danielle, John, and me today, and I have to say, John kicked some butt! He wasn't sure he could hang with us - and frankly, I wasn't sure either - but we had pre-planned meeting points every 10 miles or so. Fortunately, we pretty much arrived at each all together. I admit John had to work harder; Danielle and I were chatty and comfy the entire time, and he is sore and tired tonight and I'm not (I'm sure Danielle isn't either). But the fact that we didn't have to drop him tells me he can train and come up to our level soon enough, and that will be so awesome for me!

So Danielle and I did the bike, then went out for a quick jog around the neighborhood - just about 15-20 minutes or so. The post-ride run will become longer and more serious as the season moves along.

And that wraps it up! Here's what I learned this week:

-- I need more carbs in my diet in order to function well at the end of the week.

-- I've come a long way since last year on the bike. When I was riding solo on Friday, I kept thinking about how this time last year, I was getting advice from BettyBetty on cadence and was terrified of aero bars. Now, I'm riding happily at 90-100 cadence and in the aeros as much as possible (and thank you very much, BettyBetty! I always want to hear more of your advice)

-- I need to drink a lot more water. I couldn't perform well in hot yoga yesterday, and I think it's because I wasn't recovered from Friday's hot yoga.

In all, it was a good week!

No comments: