Sunday, May 06, 2007

One last ski day...and congratulations!!!

Last week, when I was telling Danielle that maybe I'd go skiing while in Germany, she said, "Come on! Isn't ski season over?"

And at the time, I thought, she's right. I should put away the skis and snowboards and focus on cycling and all of our fun spring and summer sports.

But then I had that incredible day in the Alps. And today was closing day at Alpental, our local ski area. So this morning, John, Gabriel and I hit the slopes for one last time.

The snow was fairly awful; gluey and really uneven, with moguls everywhere. We did a few intermediate runs and then played for a while on the beginner slope, on the jumps that got me good a couple of weeks ago ( can't remember if I wrote about that, but I fell a few times).

This time, I think thanks to my practice in the terrain park on Tuesday, I didn't fall on the jumps. I also was able to ski the moguls okay.

We only spent the morning there. At noon, we took off...and when we got home, finally put the skis and boards to bed for the summer.

On our way home, I bought a new backpack. Tomorrow I begin bike-commuting to work! YAY!!!

--

Okay, so, big congratulations go out to my girls, Nancy, Sarah, and Wendy - all of whom (I think) PR'ed today in the Vancouver Half Marathon! I'm so proud of each of them. Nancy went from someone who said she wasn't interested in racing to signing up for something like 4 half marathons this year; Sarah used to think she was a sprinter, not a distance/endurance girl and has certainly proven herself wrong, and Wendy is dealing with a 75% torn rotator cuff and still pulled off a fast half marathon! Way to go, ladies!!!

No comments: