Wednesday, June 27, 2007

No Lake Stevens

Thanks for your advice on whether I should do the Lake Stevens 70.3. I decided not to for the following reasons:

1) $200 is a lot of money. I could definitely spend it on something else - like dying my hair auburn and pink. (July 7, and yes, there will be pictures.)
2) I'm on a post-race high. Every time I complete a race, I just want to race some more - but that doesn't mean it's good for me and my ultimate goal!
3) Mandatory bike racking on Saturday would mean three hours in the car Saturday, only to be repeated on Sunday.
4) The race start is 6:30 a.m. Too freaking early. I'd have to get a hotel up there like I did last year, and I don't want to do that. I only want to travel to somewhere cool, not somewhere an hour and 15 minutes away.
5) I really want to race the weekend of July 28 - I think that's perfect timing to test out anything different I might do on The Big Day.

So, I can't find a half-Ironman for July 28, but there is the mid-summer triathlon just outside Portland. Portland is a cool city, plus they have a sprint duathlon my husband can do, and a kids' tri for Gabriel. So I'm envisioning a long weekend of coffee shops, great bookstores, and a day full of races for the whole family. Nice, huh?

Today I biked to work and tried to drop my husband to prove how strong I am and he isn't. I failed, actually - apparently the 30 lbs he's lost has put his bike fitness up where mine is, possibly even greater. So then he came with me on the Cascade bike club's strenuous ride - 18-21 mph on the flats, but we only ride hills - and he held his own with the guys. As usual I was back-of-the-pack with this group, but they didn't have to wait for me so it was all good.

So actually, that's pretty cool - I'm glad he's becoming a stronger cyclist. I knew it would happen (though I am surprised at how fast it happened) and now it means I don't have to worry about him wanting to come on my training rides and holding me back. In fact, it might be me holding him back if not now, soon!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mid-Summer tri is on my maybe list too! Maybe we will see each other there?

Wes said...

Well, I didn't get any pictures of you going blond, so I'm not holding my breath ;-) Smart Ironman in training!! Sounds like a great weekend and hubby is becoming a cyclo-stud eh? When is he going to tri?

ItchyBits said...

I find that with Men--they seem to get fit fast. I used to ride with a few guys that just couldn't hold on to the pack and would get dropped on every ride. By mid-season they were setting the pace and I was having trouble staying with them ??