Thursday, July 05, 2007

Deliciously tired

First this: Yeah, I'm an idiot for not being happy with my race results. But I was talking this morning with a woman who came in 6th overall for the women, and she said her time was 1:30 off what she expected and she thought the course was long.

A review of last year's results and this year's was inconclusive (totally different people in the top; the only person in the top 10 this year and last was actually faster this year), but I want to believe it.

But whatever.

Yesterday the family rode 22 miles round-trip, Mercer Island to Seattle and back. Going Gabriel's pace - he's seven - was pretty tough, but worthwhile: I got to instruct him in how to ride safely on the road, how to use his gears properly, and so on - and he enjoyed it, I think.

John towed Camille in a trailer; I would have, but I don't want to attach it to a carbon-fiber bike. (Is that a bad thing to do? It seems so.)

The interesting thing about riding that long and slow is that my upper body - back and shoulders - feels like I did a three-hour bike, but my legs are perfect. :-)

Today Nancy and I ran for two hours - later than usual, since I was up late doing the fireworks thing last night. It felt okay - my legs definitely hurt at the end, but in a good way - and after I sit for a while at my desk today I get that "I-did-a-long-run-and-my-legs-won't-let-me-forget-it" feeling. Which actually is kind of nice. I don't mind feeling tired when I actually DO something that makes me tired. It's feeling tired when I didn't do anything that bothers me.

I still haven't swum since Pacific Crest. But tomorrow I'm promising myself that I will. Yuck.

4 comments:

Wes said...

You are not an idiot! LOL. Just competitive, and that's a good thing, almost all of the time :-)

wendy said...

You're like the energizer bunny, you just keep going and going and going! Glad to hear you're enjoying the legs-won't-let-you-forget feeling.

Run for Chocolate said...

Get out there and swim, I need to go swim too!

jesslover said...

hey jessica, i did that race too and I'm pretty sure it was long. My buddy was wearing his Garmin and he said it was over 3.2!