Sunday, January 27, 2008

Running on empty is still running

I didn't quite make my five-days-a-week this week; Thursday I ran outside for an hour (in 25 degree weather again, yum) and lifted. Fortunately the lifting is getting easier.

Friday was super-fun: it was a cold day, but sunny, and I ran at noon. The sun makes me happy. I forgot though that running in 30 degree weather in sun is dramatically different from 30 degrees in darkness! So I had to shed some layers, but that only contributed to happiness anyway. Warmth is good this time of year.

I wanted to work out yesterday, but family took priority. We took the kids to "Baby Loves Disco," and I wanted to dance but it was too crowded - too many little kids to trip over. But Camille liked it; Gabriel was too cool, of course.

Then last night, I sort of worked out - we went out dancing, and danced for nearly four hours! So much fun. I really want to wear my heart rate monitor some time and see how many calories I burn from dancing. But that's so dorky I don't think even I could do it for real.

The thing is, Danielle and I were planning to run today. Since the club closed at 2, I figured I'd be home by 2:20 at the latest. But we went with friends, and we drove, and they didn't want to stay out quite as late, so we gave them our car and got a ride with another friend. But that got us home at more like 3:20...and then I stayed up until 4.

I was meeting Danielle at 9, and unfortunately when I know I have to get up on too little sleep, I sleep even worse. So I dozed on and off until about 7:30, when I just gave up and got out of bed.

Maybe this was lucky: today it's really icy out. Danielle and I had to run slower than we usually do; I actually slipped and did some sort of baseball slide on the sidewalk before I realized how slippery it was. I bruised my knee, hip, elbow, and wrist...but fortunately, it's just bruises and after I walked for a minute, I could run again.

We ran for a little more than an hour, and it felt just fine. But when I got home....whoa. I felt horrible!

So now it's past noon, I'm back in my pajamas and bathrobe, and I'm considering not getting dressed today at all. My legs are sore and tired!

It's a great day to play board games and Rock Band with the kids, anyway. :-)

9 comments:

Brian said...

Wow 30 degrees, thats cold.
Hopefully is will warm up for you soon.

-Brian

Julia from Dozen Flours said...

Hey there -- a long time ago you bought a new bike and were super excited about it. I was wondering if you would recommend it to someone who is looking to go from average-nothing-special REI road bike to an actual tri bike.

I've done 3 sprints in the bike I have now. The bike is okay but nothign special. The one thing I don't like about it is that it has straight bars, not the curvey kind (not sure what to call them). Out of the three tri sports, I hate biking the most, so much so that I am thinking of not doing any more triathlons. So, I'm at the point where I need to either upgrade my current road bike or spend some serious moolah and get a new one.

Any advice you can provide would be very much appreciated!

Thank you,
Julia

Em said...

hi there,
i randomly came across your blog. i'm training for my first marathon - nyc 2008! now you've got me wanting to attempt a triathlon too! :) keep up the awesome work

Jenniferlyn said...

30* is a heat wave! lol.. good job on getting out there... now that is dedication.

Rachel said...

I think dancing counts. I don't remember the last time I stayed up that late! Kay, now I feel old.

Andy said...

Long time no see! Great to read your blog again from my seemingly eternal slumber.

Murtha...

Trisaratops said...

OMG I HEART ROCK BAND!!!

It's our favorite thing to do when the weather is sucking, too! :)

Jen in Budapest said...

Hi Jessica - I found your blog through the blogging community and thanks for your posts. I can relate to the sun making you happy. It's awesome when the weather is good :D

And that's funny about dancing - I was taking salsa lessons for awhile and really worked up a sweat. I was wondering the same thing!!

I love how you balance your life with training and your family. It's awesome! Keep it up. :D

jen

ItchyBits said...

Where did you go??? I miss reading your blog!