Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hot. Ow. Yay!

So, here's me. Once upon a time, maybe a year or so ago, I thought it would be impossible for me to go even three days without exercising.

Oh how we change. I've since learned that when you take things one day at a time and just DON'T do something, it gets easier and easier not to.

I certainly haven't totally given up exercising...but it's a lot easier to skip now than it used to be. And as such, my weight lifting and yoga have basically completely fallen off.

So yesterday Danielle was teaching yoga at 8:15 p.m. It was a fairly important day for her (her own personal reasons), so I said I'd spend the evening with her and take her class.

Well, 8:15 p.m. at the hot yoga studio is CRAZY. There's a 90-minute class from 6:30 to 8 right before, and there were like seriously 45 people in a studio where 30 feels crowded. So in the 110-degree heat, it was humid and sweaty and stinky, before my class even started.

And I haven't done hot yoga since last September, and when I put on my yoga clothes, I saw all these lumps around my thighs and bottom than used to be there. Gross.

But anyway, I was going to go through with it.

Danielle is a seriously talented teacher. No matter what's going on in her personal life, she sets it aside and gives everything, every time, to her students. She's fun, encouraging, and just makes you both want to work hard and appreciate where you are right now.

So even though it was a zillion degrees and I'm nowhere near as flexible as I used to be and I weigh more and my head hurt every time it was lower than my heart, I pushed through and did as much as I could of the class. When it hurt the worst, I tried to recall the first few times I took hot yoga - how it was so hard, but how I walked out of the studio into the cool day and felt energized, cleansed from the inside out.

We laughed the entire way home. Sweating three pounds of water out can do that, I guess.

And today...I kinda want to go again!

3 comments:

:) said...

Yoga is hard...this coming from the most inflexible man in America. I can't even imagine doing it in a HOT room...

Loonies. :)

wendy said...

ohhh, I haven't tried it yet! my friend raved about it, but I'm not sure I can get over the smell, and besides, it's no where close to me.

good job getting out there though!

Organized Chaos said...

Hey, welcome back. I've been consistent at the gym but can't get into the triathlon mood this summer either.