Saturday, July 26, 2008

Hike-running, or run-hiking?

This morning I went out with a couple of gals to run Rattlesnake Ledge. It was advertised something like this:

"This will be a beautiful and relaxing run. Trail starts out in some light woods and then opens up onto an exposed, steeper section where you can see some small wildlife. You’re immediately back into the woods for a cushy ride on a soft, pine-covered trail that meanders up and down through the woods for a few miles. It smells great and you can’t hear the freeway. It’s lovely."

Uh, yeah. So it actually goes like this:

The trail starts out uphill in the woods. It's pretty, but it's uphill. Then it opens up onto an exposed, steeper section where the view is amazing, if you can lift your head to look at it. But if you do, you'll see that there's a lot more uphill to go. You're soon back into the woods, where you continue to gain elevation for, oh, about the rest of the time on the "out" part of this run. The trail will be lovely, and you won't be able to hear the traffic on I-90 anyway because you'll be breathing so heavily. You won't really go "down" per se, unless it's opposite day and down means up. There might be one tiny downhill section...followed by yet another steep uphill.

Yeah, that's more like it.

So I ran for the first 20 minutes; the next 10 was mostly running with a few walking steps; then the next 42 was primarily speed-walking with some running when my heart rate dipped below 170. You read that right...170. At the end of the uphill portion, I stopped my HR monitor and the AVERAGE was 170. Let me reiterate: for an hour and 12 minutes. So it was pretty intense.

Oh, and the other girls beat me up the hill - by a lot. Very humbling - but in a good way. I'm out of shape and I can't pretend I'm not. The proof is in the walking.

On the way down, I led the way, until a cramp got the best of me. I walked for a few minutes and it seemed to go away, but when I picked up running again, it came right back. I slowed down, lost the girls, and pushed through the pain.

Downhill was kind of hard, but not cardiovascularly. It definitely hurt my knees, but I loved how I needed to work to maintain my balance. I don't think I could have walked down anyway; it seemed too steep.

So in all, it was 9 miles in two hours. I originally had 10 miles on my schedule, then changed it to 13. But given the intensity of the run, the work of all my muscles to stabilize myself (both up and down), and the amount of time spent running, I'm satisfied that I did the solid workout I needed to get in today.

And best of all, I woke up easily, pre-alarm, with no desire to hide under the covers. First day this week I've felt that way!

2 comments:

Marques Lyons said...

Well it's nice to know that things are doing better today for ya :-)

Judi said...

Trail running is way harder than road running. I also just blogged about my trail running shoes which are a necessary for trails! I started trail running this summer and am doing a 50k run in Oct (31 miles).

I started reading parts of your blog last winter and enjoyed the IM race report and parts of your IM training. What doesn't make sense to me is how you could let your fitness go. I have read a few other bloggers who seem to let themselves go after the big race. I can't see that happening to myself. If I complete an IM as I plan to in Aug 09, I will keep going as long as I am able.