Monday, July 07, 2008

When does 11 miles feel like 20?

When you're out of shape and cocky, that's when.

Ugh. It was a flat 11 miles, too - and I have more pain in my feet (front of my ankle on the left, top of my right connected to my big toe and running across to the outside of my foot) than I've ever had.

And one of my knees hurts, too.

I'm trying to remind myself that running hurt in my first marathon training season; and with my lack of discipline around, well, everything right now, this is to be expected.

But it's annoying! I thought I already worked through all this stuff and could run forever! Blah!

Okay, done whining.

At least it was a nice day, and Gabriel came with me on his bike. He was so adorable - around mile 9 or so I fell behind in a futile attempt to get rid of my foot pain, and another girl was a ways behind me, so he kept riding between our pack leaders, me, and the girl behind to make sure everyone was okay. So cute!

And he asked if we could go for a ride today when I get home from work. It's so gorgeous outside that I might just shirk my household-cleaning duties to do just that.

This is going to be an interesting marathon training season, for sure. But I finally feel like I'm back motivated to run. Saturday night, we were out with friends and I just up and left so that I could get enough sleep to feel good Sunday.

I didn't even feel bad; in fact, when a friend looked at me and said, "Priorities!" in a resigned voice when I said I was leaving, I said, "Oh, no. It's not priorities; it's balance. I got to come out for a while, and I get to run tomorrow."

Hopefully this will last through October 5...Portland Marathon!

2 comments:

wendy said...

Ohh! I don't even remember knowing you were doing Portland! That's great! I know several folks running Portland, maybe you can hook up w/ them. Hope the running gets more comfy as the weeks go by!

:) said...

"Priorities"...

Why do people have to be like that? My family (not my wife, but parents and such) do that all the time.