Friday, January 27, 2006

Exercise addicted

I got up at 4:25 this morning to meet some folks for a swim....then I did indoor cycling for an hour, then I ran a mile, then I lifted weights. I believe this might be the edge of insanity. After showering (but not drying my hair), I left the gym three hours after I arrived.

I've made some resolutions for today:

-- Only one cup of coffee (done: 4:40 a.m., tall americano with cream and splenda)
-- No banana bread (I'm not sure I'm going to make this one)

I met with a dietician from my weight-loss program today to discuss my obsession with food, excessive workouts, and desire to lose weight while still preparing for the half-Ironman. She confirmed what I already knew - weight-loss and endurance athletics don't mix well - but her suggestion was that I focus February on weight-loss, keeping my calories between 1600 and 1800 per day and exercising intensively for 5 days a week only, no more than 90 minutes. So now I've got a plan. She also told me not to cut out grains - I was thinking of trying to get all my carbs from fruit and vegetables, but she said that even with just 90 minutes of exercise five days a week I will need carbs from grains.

Oh, she also said that it's okay for me to eat the dark chocolate. Sometimes. If it fits in. :-)

And she also explained why my weight fluctuates so greatly between morning and night and day to day: it's because when I lift weights or do serious cardio, I cause muscle soreness and/or inflammation. Water in my body then goes to the inflamed or sore spot to help repair and soothe it, so my cells hold more water and therefore I am heavier. I always wondered why my weight is so different morning to night, and my husband's isn't as much, and that's why. She said people who exercise a lot have a greater fluctuation. She also told me to stop weighing myself twice a day and go to something more like weekly. We'll see if I can do that. Typically when I don't weigh myself morning and night I let myself eat more.

It's now 2 p.m. and I've stuck with my resolutions - no banana bread, only one coffee. The craving for the banana bread is gone (and so is the bread, I think...people love it, so the cafe always runs out) and I'm kind of tired and would love the coffee. But I'm warm, so I'm not super tempted for a warm drink.

Girls night out tonight! We went to Z'Tejas and I made a mistake when I ordered: I got seafood enchiladas, and the sauce turned out to be cream-based. Oh well. I got really full and didn't allow myself dessert, which was good. But I have absolutely no idea how many calories I consumed.

Then we went shopping. I felt so full I could barely walk...and we went into J.Jill, and the first thing I see is these really cute jeans. The saleslady comes over and asks me if I need a size 2. Yeah, right! Flattery will get you everywhere! I told her no, a 6, possibly even an 8. She handed me a 6 and a 4 and brought me to the dressing room. I didn't try on the 4 - but the 6 was PERFECT. It looked great, fit fabulously, and of course I had to have those jeans. I also got a sweater and two shirts - all of which are size small. Yay! Is J.Jill a store for larger women, or am I really small? Either way, I loved the way I looked in everything I bought. It was a really nice feeling during a time where I am pretty unhappy about my weight and when I'd just eaten too much and the wrong things.


Today's Meal Tracking and Exercise

Food:
Pre-workout: Banana and coffee with cream: 110 cals
Breakfast: Breakfast sandwich with egg, sausage, and cheese: 400 cals
Snack: Low-fat cheese: 35 cals
Lunch: 5 oz turkey breast; salad with vinegar (no oil); cup fruit; dark chocolate: 385 cals
(total so far today: 920 cals)
Dinner: Seafood enchiladas
Total calories consumed: Who knows, 1920?

Exercise:
Swim 3/4 mile (30 minutes)
Indoor cycling (60+ minutes)
Run 1 mile (9 minutes)
Lift weights, stretch
Total calories burned: 1000

Total calorie deficit: 600?

Beginning of day weight: 142.4 <-- improving End of day weight: 144.4

No comments: