Thursday, January 26, 2006

Yoga is hard

You know, for all the hard work I did in an hour and 20 minutes of yoga, I should have burned more than 20 calories (at least that's how many my heart rate monitor said I burned). And ow! Stretching hurts. But I do believe it's worthwhile. I just can't help but think that the 80 minutes I spent in yoga could have been spent burning 700 calories more.

Here's what I didn't eat today, but wanted to:
- a doughnut at 5 a.m.
- banana bread at 8:30 a.m.
- chocolate at 2 p.m.
- a mocha (instead of a non-fat sugar free latte) at 3 p.m.
- a mocha at 6 p.m.
- potato salad at 7:30 p.m.
- more dark chocolate at 8:30 p.m.

Had I eaten these things, I could have consumed approximately 1200 calories more today. I wouldn't have wanted both the doughnut and banana bread, and I only would have had one mocha. So together, that's about 400 for the morning carb, 100 for the afternoon chocolate, 250 for the mocha, 300 for the potato salad, and 140 for the dark chocolate. That would have been two and half hours more of running.

When I put it that way, it actually doesn't sound so bad. I like running. Hmm....now I'm giving myself bad ideas. Nice.

Here's what I actually did.

Food:
Pre-workout: banana and coffee with cream: 110 cals
Breakfast: 1 fat-free Cascade Fresh yogurt; 1 cup fruit; 3 oz ham; lite cheese; just a tiny bit of granola; coffee with cream (this sounds like a lot more food than it felt like): 515 calories (and for that, I should have had the banana bread that haunts my dreams)
Lunch: Chicken "enchiladas" (made with cabbage, which is actually better than it sounds): 400 cals
Snack: Latte (free cart right outside my office, who can pass that up?): 90 cals
More snack: Low-fat string cheese and a tiny clementine: 90 cals
Dinner: 5 oz turkey breast; broccoli; two squares dark chocolate: 440

Total calories consumed: 1645

Exercise:
Run 6 miles; yoga
Total calories burned: 500

Calorie deficit: (255)

Beginning of day weight: 143.2 <-- this needs to be 138! Maximum!
End of day weight: 144.6 (this doesn't really make sense; I'm usually a full 2 to 3 pounds higher at night than in the morning. But I'm unwilling to get on the scale again with such a good result. Well, relatively good, given this morning's result and where I am right now.)

No comments: