Monday, January 30, 2006

No coffee, no dairy

I'm experimenting with taking various foods out of my diet to see what effect they have on me. This stomachache I've been getting sucks. So today I tried to cut out dairy and coffee - for breakfast I had oatmeal, which was surprisingly yummy. I could eat that often, I think.

Well, I lasted until lunch time. Then I sort of messed up the no coffee thing - well, I had a diet Cherry Coke, and the point of eliminating coffee was to eliminate caffeine, so I failed there. And I messed up the dairy thing, too - the soup I had was cream-based (and I knew it, but I wasn't thinking about no dairy at the time).

In fact, the thing that reminded me of my no dairy idea was the stomachache I got right after lunch. Of course, that could have been the caffeine, too. But I'm thinking it's the dairy! Is it possible to develop food allergies at age 31?

My swim this morning was nice - definitely zone 2 (heart rate 120-140). I had a little pain in my left shoulder - don't know why - and unfortunately I can feel the spot where the babysitter's snowboard rammed my leg. But I think that will go away by next week or so.

Dinner time could have been better. I overate. However, at least I cooked at home and didn't eat out - that's another problem we have in this family. With our busy lives, we resort to fast food (usually for me low-calorie fast food, but still) way too often. Tonight I had leftover broccoli and made more meat empanadas out of the meat I'd cooked the other night. It was good, but I should have eaten less.

If I could take a pill that would prevent me from enjoying food for the rest of my life (but still allow me to eat for sustenance and fuel), I would. I'd give up the pleasure of food to be thin and healthy.

Anyway, here's what I did, and enjoyed:

Food:
Pre-workout: 2/3 banana: 60 calories
Breakfast: Oatmeal with a little bit of brown sugar and dried cranberries, 2 oz ham, 1 cup fruit: 410 calories
Lunch: 8 oz corn and green chile bisque (yeah, calories and fat. that's why only 8 oz) and (lots of lettuce) salad: 375 calories
Snack: 1 Hershey's dark chocolate with almonds Nugget: 55 calories
Later afternoon snack: Luna bar, 180 calories
Dinner: Broccoli in teriyaki sauce; meat empanadas; 1/2 toffee almond bar (the other half of yesterday's): 700 calories

Total today: 1780 calories

Exercise:
Swim 1.25 miles, 50 minutes: 350 calories

Calorie deficit: (170) <-- as long as there's a deficit and I'm honest, this is the right direction. Baby steps...

Beginning of day weight: 142.0
End of day weight: 144.0

No comments: