Saturday, January 28, 2006

Sore body, tired mind

I am definitely overdoing it. I got up this morning to run a 10-mile trail that I really enjoy with a good friend (and personal trainer!) - so I knew a good run and good conversation were in the near future. But a headache and stomachache plagued me, and my heart rate was very high. We turned back just before the 4-mile mark, so ran close to 8. With three miles to go, it started pouring - and it was 38 degrees. So I was cold and feeling pukey. Danielle, my running partner, said I should check my resting heart rate for the next three days, but I probably don't need to do that to know I'm overtraining.

So, I have a new plan: one full rest day, one ski (semi-rest) day, 5 exercise days with 90 minutes of solid - though not super-intense - cardio. 1600 to 1800 calories per day.

Here's how I did today. Definitely could have been worse.
Food:
Pre-workout: Banana with peanut butter on it: 180 cals
Breakfast: Chicken and vegetable soup: 180 cals (don't tell me this isn't breakfast. It's got protein and carbohydrates, and it warmed me up after my cold wet run!)
Lunch: Chicken and broccoli stir-fry with a small amount of rice: 400 cals; also a few of Camille's french fries from McDonald's: 60 cals
Snack: Peanuts and fruit (but not too many peanuts for once!): 110 cals
Another snack: Dark chocolate: 100 cals
Dinner: Homemade low-fat beef empanadas and salad: 595 cals
After-dinner: Another square of dark chocolate. Curse Hershey's for their new extra-dark. 70 cals
TOTAL: 1695 calories <-- okay, not bad despite the chocolate and french fries

Exercise:
Run almost 8 miles - 80 minutes (yeah, we were slow - had to stop a couple of times and this included a 3-4 minute walk, too): 700 calories

Hey, not too bad for the day! I was sure I was over...however, I feel really full right now, so I probably could have eaten less.

Weight beginning of day: 140.2 <-- Yay! Almost there!

No comments: