Sunday, January 29, 2006

A Very Starbucks Day

Mmmm...breakfast, lunch, and snack all from Starbucks. It could have been worse, I guess.

I went snowboarding all day, teaching my son's babysitter how to board. I got some great powder runs in the afternoon after I wore her out, though - it was a fabulous day on the mountain. I was glad to share it with the babysitter though because it's just so much more fun to learn to board on a powder day than an icy or hard-packed day.

I didn't go anywhere near the cafeteria so I wasn't tempted by the french fries and burgers they sell. It works much better to bring my lunch. Plus, the extra benefit of not having to wait in the huge lines, find a table, and take off all of our wet stuff in the lodge is nice. Instead, we sat in the car and had our little picnic, then hit the slopes again.

In the afternoon, I really wanted something warm to drink - my compromise is a non-fat mocha with whip instead of either going whole-hog on the hot chocolate or full-fat mocha or depriving myself and sticking to a plain coffee. I've experimented with whole milk and no whip, 2% milk with and without whip, and I've found that the non-fat with whip gives the most flavor and creaminess for the fewest calories. Or at least, the number of calories I will afford to a drink. But I also ate half of a toffee almond bar, who knows why. I just wanted something to eat too, even though I'd already had the yogurt and grapes. I felt hungry! But I think in retrospect I would have been fine with just the mocha.

One issue happened today: the babysitter accidentally lost control of her snowboard and slammed into my left leg (the shin). I've got a bruise, but what's worse, I know it will affect my biking and running this week. I'm hoping it heals quickly, and I know that bruises and other issues like this are the cost of doing an "extreme" sport. Fortunately, there's no snowboarding close to the half-Ironman. :-)

Food:
Breakfast: Reduced-fat coffee cake and a tall Americano with cream and splenda (from Starbucks!): 370 calories
Lunch: Starbucks low-fat turkey sandwich and grapes: 350 calories
Snack: Tall non-fat with whip mocha (Starbucks again!), 1/2 toffee bar, grapes, yogurt: 500 calories
Dinner: Chicken tacos, little bit of rice and beans: 600 calories
TOTAL: 1820 calories

Exercise: Snowboarding, 715 calories (all day though, so not very effective)

Calorie deficit: (495) calories

Beginning of day weight: 142.2 (making yesterday's 140.2 a fluke: going to the bathroom, maybe dehydration...who knows. Unlikely real. I knew it at the time but who wants to believe?
End of day weight: 144.4

No comments: