Monday, September 03, 2007

Back to the beginning

When I first started running, I ran on the treadmill because I was afraid that if I ran outside, I'd run too far and not have enough energy to make it back. (Like I'd collapse on the side of the road and not be able to walk...not exactly logical, but I did feel that way.)

I haven't done any formal exercise since the Ironman. Part of the reason I didn't before now was that it's hard for me to do anything "light" - I go hard or stay home. So...I stayed home.

But I was going a little stir-crazy, and this evening, John said to me, "What do you want to do right now?" He could tell I was restless. I suggested we go out for a little run - Camille can go in the stroller, Gabriel on his bike, and John and I could jog.

Well, we went out for just 30 minutes...and it was kind of hard. And at one point on our loop, I actually wondered if I was going to be able to run all the way back.

I was.

But I'm back to the beginning. It's amazing how much a big race takes out of you - so much more than a big training day.

---
By the way: John wants you to know he's not a weenie, even though my description of the story at the club may have made him seem so (according to him). The story was about me and my reaction - he definitely doesn't need me to stick up for him, I just wanted to!

3 comments:

wendy said...

hey, you're getting out and about again!

BTW, i didn't get the impression at all that your hubby was a weenie. I thought you were sounding pretty fierce though. ;-)

Wes said...

LOL. I wouldn't suggest John is a weenie. Heck, I encourage Dee Dee to fight for me all the time in bars ;-) No, seriously!! ROFL. She takes a lot less crap than I do... I do let her know I have her back though...

Rachel said...

Way to start getting your confidence back!