Thursday, September 20, 2007

Feeling hot!

I've learned a few things since finishing Ironman Canada and NOT setting a new endurance goal. Remember, last year after I did my half-Iron, I did another half-Iron, then three marathons in a span of eight weeks, then pretty much went into Ironman training. So it's been a long time since I haven't had an endurance goal.

First, it's SOOOO much easier to keep my weight in check - and even down. I mean, I knew that, but it's another thing entirely to experience it. To manage eating 1,300 to 1,500 calories a day and feel just fine - including not depriving myself (yesterday I got my half of a cappuccino chocolate chip muffin, yummy yummy yummy) - is awesome.

Then, it's so great to wear heels again. Today I've got a pair that are just over three inches high. I love feeling tall. During my heavy running seasons, I really can't wear heels without pain in my feet and legs. Now, no problem!

And finally, the most important thing. I feel great. I know my weight isn't much different (140.2 this morning) from a few weeks ago - but the little bit does show changes. For example: on Tuesday I wore a new sweater that I picked out with Nancy and Wendy a couple of weeks ago. When I tried it on (a medium), it fit, but I sort of wanted a large. I felt like I looked a little fat in it. The store didn't have a large, so I bought it anyway. Well, wearing it on Tuesday, I couldn't see the fat at all that I saw when I bought it! And my tightest jeans fit, and I just feel like I look good.

I don't actually feel any healthier, faster, stronger, or anything like that. I just feel body-confident. I definitely still have weight to lose and physical things that could be improved upon, but it's so nice to feel good about myself.

This is something to remember.

I always thought I would lose weight and then be able to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. After all, it always seems like I see thin people doing just that.

Maybe it's true for them. It's definitely not for me. I'm always going to walk that line between fat and thin. Sometimes I'll feel better about myself than other times; regardless, it's always going to be effort to stay on this side of the line.

And what I need to remember, and focus on, is that it's totally worth it!

4 comments:

Kate said...

Yay Jess! Please keep up this optimism (and lack of endurance goal) for at least another month, so I have some inspiration after my marathon to go back to exercising for my bikini..

wendy said...

Look at you with your high heels and skinny jeans!

I bet you do feel hot, but more important, I hope you just feel healthy. =)

My BFF is 5'6", looks like a runway model, she runs 5-6 miles a day, has the perfect body for clothes, and her body fat is ~ 30%. You would never know it. She weighs about 125 pounds, she looks like she weighs maybe 100 pounds. But she eats really junky food, she's not really healthy, but she looks like it.

You have the best of both worlds, you look and feel fit. =)

Rachel said...

Wow, I'm jealous! I always feel like I have to have an endurance goal to keep me motivated but sometimes I wonder what it would feel like to have a social life or have time to cross train or how I would perform if I rested more or if I could eat better if there weren't a starving lion in my gut trying to get out.

Alison said...

It's so funny -- when I read your posts about weight, I feel like I'm writing them myself. For me (keep in mind I'm a midget), 120 is a "comfortable" weight, and although I'd like to be lower, I feel hot when I'm at 120 and fat when I'm above it.

Since I stopped training due to my injury, it's actually been easier to keep weight off, strangely enough, and I am hovering between 119-121. I'm not hungry all the time, and I don't feel like it's my "right" to eat crap three meals a day, like I used to!