Monday, September 24, 2007

I also love riding my bike

There is something so delicious about a Fall day. I knew that no matter what the weather, I was going to ride today - but I was super-happy to find that it was sunny and cool, absolutely perfect riding weather.

Unfortunately, I'm feeling a little off - I have a sore throat. It's not fair. I am incredibly healthy, right - but when I was in college, I could stay out all night and do it again the next night. Why can't I do it anymore? (I know why: I'm not 19 anymore. Grr. Youth really is wasted on the young.)

So I planned a route that had great downhills and not so difficult climbs - 18 miles of fun. I hit 46.9 on the first big descent and 45 something on the second. Yum!

I've really been enjoying leading the Cascade rides. I always feel a tiny bit stressed before the ride - after all, I have to be the LEADER, so I have to be strong and in control and up the hills first, etc - but once I'm going, it just feels good. And if I weren't the leader, it's entirely possible that the lure of my computer, finishing work, or talking to co-workers would take precedence over my exercise.

Nah, who am I kidding. If I didn't ride, I'd just go to the gym or go out for a run. :-)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great ride. Gotta love descents, especially after grueling climbs!

ItchyBits said...

You gave me a chuckle. I don't think you are expected to be the first up the climbs etc. just because you are the LEADER (unless you agreed to that ahead of time but that would be weird). A leader of a group ride just organizes it, chooses the course, gives anyone who needs it written directions in case they are dropped, assists newbies, maybe hang with anyone who gets a flat or injured and that is really it. You should be rotating the pull the entire time.

wendy said...

45! I can't even imagine! Being as clutzy as I am, it's actually a good thing, just imagining it could put me under. ;-)

Good job on the rides, and I agree w/ bettybetty, I don't think being the leader means you always have to climb first...but I give you points for tenacity!

TJ said...

i'd be white knuckled and freakin at 45. yikes!