Saturday, September 01, 2007

Don't mess with an Ironman!

So, Thursday night, John and I went out to a pretty small club to see a pretty big DJ - #2 in the world right now, Armin van Buuren.

I was a little anxious because of how small this club is - I think this guy could sell out a place three times as large - but hey - how often do you get to see someone this big in such an intimate setting?

I was so elated to be going. Pretty much I was almost literally jumping up and down - and when we got there, I had one drink: vodka and Red Bull, my dancing favorite, and I was on the dance floor for the opening acts. (Remember this later: one drink only, at least three hours before the incident I'm going to describe.)

Of course by the time Armin came on, the dance floor was PACKED. But people were being fairly well behaved, except for a handful of frat boy types in football jerseys. John spoke to security about one of them who kept knocking into me, and security removed him.

But then, more than halfway through Armin's set, I hear a scuffle behind me. John was behind me, not beside me, so I turn around and some guy takes a swing at John's head. The guy is screaming and swearing and people are moving away from him and John.

Without a conscious thought, I reach out and hit the guy (much taller than me, of course) in the forehead. "Get the **** away from him!" I yell. I tried to push myself between him and John, and the crazy guy's girlfriend or wife or whatever starts holding him back. He's yelling at John and I'm yelling back. "Get away! Don't you even look at him," I screamed and held my hand up to his eyes so he couldn't see John anymore. Why that? No idea. Like I said, not a conscious thought except this: "I'm an Ironman. Don't you dare mess with me."

And you know, I felt that way. I felt completely charged up - willing to fight. I couldn't wait for him to take a swing at me, because I was ready and was going to fight back. Not that John wouldn't, but I was going to protect what is mine and not let some jerk who had too much to drink hurt my man. In fact, I almost felt disappointed when he didn't take me on.

He backed down, and later apologized. Apparently he has some anger-management issues. And possibly some closeted homosexual tendencies: the reason he got so angry at John? He was behind John and pushing to get closer to the stage when John turned around and said, "If you're going to hug my ass, you should at least ask for my phone number."

6 comments:

Wes said...

Well! John is kinda cute :-) In the future, he can say whatever he wants to me, Ironman!!! LOL. Do not mess with an Iron(wo)man's man. Lesson learned!!!

wendy said...

OMG, that's hilarious! I'm glad no one got hurt, but seriously, that's just too funny.

You're hard core. ;-)

Rachel said...

That's funny. I kind of feel sorry for John though--who wants a girl to stand up for him? However, you ARE an Ironman afterall.

Read your race report--congrats. That's awesome. Also awesome how you got to meet Sister Madonna. I love her!

FromShanToSlim said...

I am beyond jealous. I heart Armin van Buuren. My dream in life is to see him in Ibiza, Spain. Ugh... I am SO jealous.

Very funny though, what John said. I can't believe you were about to beat up a man FOR your man, though LOL. You rock.

liz said...

haha... that is hilarioussss!! good times! :)

Unknown said...

Very funny. I laughed out loud. Glad noone was hurt. S