Thursday, November 08, 2007

More nutty Crossfit adventures

So I've now been active/athletic for about three and a half years.

And in that time, I've managed to overcome a lot of pigeon-holing: I thought I was clumsy, slow, unfit. And maybe I was - but those things aren't a permanent part of me.

I like to think of the Spanish language: it has two verbs that mean "to be" - "ser" and "estar." The simple way to explain when to use which is to think of "ser" as things you ALWAYS are. I will always be female. "Estar" is used for temporary things - like feelings. I AM happy right now.

So I thought I was (using the verb "ser") not an athlete. Now I know that I am (using the verb "estar," because it could change) one.

Anyway, so this Crossfit thing has really shown me that I've practiced and become a runner and a swimmer. But overall athletics - being coordinated, throwing, catching, sports-type skills - uh, not so much.

And I guess that's why I like it. Because it pretty much puts me back at the starting line, and it's HARD, and I'm embarrassed when I mess up. (Like today, doing some deadlift and then some other move with a heavy ball.) I laugh at myself, and I get frustrated.

And then I practice some more and some more and some more. After some time, it happens: I can do whatever it was I was attempting.

Getting it feels amazing - even if I'm the slowest in the class.

It's awesome to believe that I CAN eventually, even if I can't quite yet. With everything.

No comments: