Monday, November 27, 2006

In desperate need of recovery

I'm done.

Done with saying I need to recover and not doing it. Done with adding races to my schedule. Done with increasing workout duration and intensity just because I feel like it.

Everything hurts and I'm exhausted and I just want to sleep.

And develop an addiction to Tylenol PM. (Okay not really; it's not physically addictive anyway, but it does create a nice groggy sleepy feeling.)

Tomorrow I start back on an appropriate diet; today I feel like I still need to eat a little more than usual, so I'm doing that.

I've asked my husband to support me in this; to remind me that I'm not supposed to work out for more than an hour a day (not including weights, which I won't start back on this week at all) and to help me keep the bad foods out of our house.

So we'll see how things go. I don't plan to run this week. And I'm not letting my heart rate get over 138 at all until 2007 (unless I'm snowboarding, in which case I can do whatever I want).

I'm just so tired. I've never felt this worn out before.

But recovery will make me come back stronger, right?

5 comments:

Aleks said...

Recovery will make you a better athlete next year. At least we'll tell ourselves that when we want to push harder... there is a reason why even pros base build.

Wes said...

Let me just say, "Its about damn time!" LOL. You deserve a little rest. Now, get to work on improving those snowboarding skills!!

:) said...

Seriously...Wes is right. You might need to take a week or two completely off. :) Did I just say that??? ;)

Backofpack said...

Hi Jess,
Picked you up from reading Aleks's blog. Congratulations on your Seattle finish! And on three marathons in two months! I just did the same thing. (If you are interested you have qualified to be a Marathon Maniac - I decided to do it because my husband and a few friends are). Looks to me like you ran a great race yesterday and improved your times - no wonder you are tired! Again, great job!

Kate said...

An hour a day isn't rest :-)
But you will come back stronger and it sounds like you are making the right decision!