Friday, November 24, 2006

Some people have it...

And some people don't.

"It" in this case is a natural grace while snowboarding.

I started my weight-loss in February of 2004, and once I started, I don't think I got back up on the slopes at all. That wasn't a great season, and I was really focused on working out in the gym.

Due to a horrible season, I didn't board much until last winter. At that time, I decided that certain things - like pushing my board on the snow with one foot out, tightening my bindings, hopping through flat parts of runs - were a lot easier with me weighing a lot less. But other things - like actually snowboarding - was pretty much the same - and that is to say, my skills are mediocre to fair.

I was pretty disappointed that suddenly I wasn't awesome. I honestly thought I would be.

And then today, something odd happened. I brought the wrong snow pants for my hubby - a pair that he's gained too much weight to fit into. So that was annoying, but he switched pants with a friend and was good to go. But it made him feel kind of bad.

When he snowboarded, though, he still looked so graceful and effortless. He glided through snow carving perfect turns, never losing his balance. He has a distinctive style, so I can always recognize him coming down the mountain. And he looks exactly as he did eight years ago when he first took me snowboarding. (Seriously, I know this is my husband and all, but it's really hot. He looks great when boarding.)

Without knowing what the difference was for me between boarding fat and boarding thin, he said that even though he's gained maybe 20 pounds, boarding is just as easy, but the other stuff - the same stuff I found easier when I lost weight - was what was hard for him now.

I guess I should take some lessons if I really want to improve. But natural grace and ability? They don't come for free just because you lost weight.

2 comments:

Alison said...

I know nothing about snowboarding, but that's how I feel about swimming. My husband hasn't swam competively since high school, and he rarely -- if at all -- does it anymore, while I swim several hours a week, doing speedwork, drills, etc. But if the two of us get into a lane next to each other, forget it! He zips back and forth past me with flawless flip turns, barely out of breath. It's so frustrating. MEN!

Unknown said...

Jess! Let's go snowboarding together! I am not a natural either - in fact, my brother calls me "Colonel Cautious" on the hill, because I am kinda tentative.

I just read in the *national* paper that Baker has already gotten ridiculous amounts of snow.
Wouldn't it be fun to double date on the mountain? Tom and I dig Stevens or Crystal... are you a fan of either?

I love that we share summer and winter sports. And they both are called riding. :)

p.s. Good luck in the marathon tomorrow!