Thursday, November 30, 2006

Base training: here I come!

Today was my first day back in the gym. I haven't taken three days in a row off....pretty much ever, since I started getting in shape.

However, I highly recommend it. For the first time after a major event, my first workout back felt good! I felt strong and happy, not miserable and barely able to breathe.

So what's different? I am beginning a formal period of base training, to last until March.

I reset my HR monitor so that it beeps when my heart rate gets over 138 bpm. For me, that's nothing - I can breathe through my nose at that HR!

The idea here is the Maffetone protocol. Basically, every workout is done with a completely aerobic heart rate - for me, I'm sticking to 65% of max or less. It says that if you follow this protocol over time, you'll get faster WITHOUT any interval or puke-inducing type work.

It also says you're not to do weight-lifting during this period. I am continuing my weight-training, but not working muscles to true fatigue and doing a whole lot of balance and core work - general strength, not muscular development.

Finally, I'm working on my diet. I'm back to using FitDay, though right now just trying to keep the calories reasonable. I'm still thinking about whether I can cut out all dairy, beans, and whole grains. I know I'll see immediate weight-loss benefit if I do, but I know I won't stick to that kind of diet for the rest of my life, so maybe I should practice healthy eating in general every day. I don't know, I'm still deciding.

Anyway, today I did Danielle's circuit training class. I was successful in keeping my HR where it belonged, but in doing so, only burned 250 calories. I think that will be the hardest part of base training - how do I deal with the lower calorie burn?

Answer: Eat less and lose weight so it no longer matters! Easier said than done...but here we go!

3 comments:

Wes said...

Here's to no puke-inducing workouts :-) Priceless, Jess. Priceless....

:) said...

Base training is killing me. I am changing my name to turle-man...

I still haven't decided on how long I am going to do this. I hate it already.

Kate said...

My Maffetone based training is frustrating, especially since my HRM is new and I love seeing myself burn so many calories, but I know it will help. It killed me during spin class though- once my HR snuck over it was so much harder to get it down than it is on the road! I can't do it properly yet, but I will do a REAL base training period at the beginning of my training for the marathon.