Monday, December 04, 2006

Playing games to keep in base training zone

It's day three of formal base training and I found myself in Josh's spinning class this morning. Fortunately his music was boring (because it didn't inspire me to work super hard), but the plan - one strength song alternated with one speed song - was entertaining enough to make me want to play along.

However, with a max HR of 138, pretty much every time I got into it, I had to stop. I turned the alarm on so I could hear the beeps when I went over 138. The HRM beeped six times. Next time, I'm going to shoot for five. (Well, I'm going to shoot for zero, but realistically, it's work to slow down, so I'm going to do what I did when I learned to snowboard: each run down the hill, I wanted to fall one fewer time. Now, each time in class, I want to hear one fewer beep until I get down to no beeps.)

So anyway, I tried something different to keep my HR down: Whenever it got to 136, dangerously close to the high limit, I deliberately relaxed my upper body and focused on deeper, slower breathing, but kept my legs moving at the same cadence that they had been going.

It actually worked to drop the HR by a couple of beats and put me back into a safer zone. So that was good!

Then I lifted weights, and unfortunately, overhead press took me out of my HR range. Guess I need to drop the amount of weight I do there until it get easier and it doesn't raise my HR so much.

I'm meal-tracking today. I had a difficult day at work on Friday and it threw me completely off track, and then the weekend came and it's hard enough to be on plan when it's not the weekend, so here's to a fresh start today. I think my weight is probably 141 or 142; back to where it likes to stay, but not where I wish it were.

2 comments:

Wes said...

I got back into town last night, and my weight is back up to 210... Grrrrrrrrr.

:) said...

Base training will be the slow, boring death of us all.... I am in week four (or five, I can't remember). This might be the hardest thing I have ever done!