Wednesday, April 18, 2007

4500 yards

Yup. I swam 4500 yards. By my calculations, that's 2.6 miles.

I did it in about 1:45, including rests, equipment changes, and a jump out of the pool to put de-fogger in my goggles. It was probably 1:40 of actual swimming. And I'm cool with that - I'm a slow swimmer, and I just want to get through the Ironman swim feeling fairly fresh and happy in about 1:30 (which I believe I will do, based on three things: I won't have to stop every 25 yards to turn, I swim faster in my wetsuit in open water, and I will benefit from a draft).

Then the mid-morning weather was incredibly nasty, so since I'm doing a century this weekend, I decided to bag my Wednesday bike ride and go to yoga instead. Well, the sun came out at noon and it was gorgeous, but yoga was great anyway.

Then I picked up my bike with my newly-cut aerobars - Yay! Shifting is going to be so much easier now!

I'm hoping to get a short run in this evening, but I'm not sure how I'm going to manage it since I will have both kids. We'll see how it goes. I'm just loving that it's light at 6 a.m. now and stays light until almost 8. It's almost time to start bike-commuting to work!

3 comments:

Shannon Morgan said...

Congrats on your long swim - you are so hard-core!

*bows to Iron Gal*

Unknown said...

Nice swim Jess!

I've got to cut my aero bars too. But I'm skerred - what if I cut them too short?

Jessica said...

Well, I put 300 miles on the bike first, so I was SURE I needed them cut. I think this is a good indication: if you have to sit up and reach to shift. Danielle was behind me and she knew when I was going to shift from how far I had to reach - which I'm sure would have caused trouble for me eventually.

I kind of got over the fear of cutting the bars after the seatpost was cut. At least bars can be replaced! :-)