Thursday, April 12, 2007

Uh-oh

I went to bed last night with some slight, weird pain in my hip.

I woke up this morning unable to walk without a limp. And it HURTS.

I was supposed to run 90 minutes with Danielle. Instead, I limped down to the car, drove to her house, and caught her before she left to meet me.

She pulled out a yoga mat and one of her books from college and helped me figure out where exactly the pain is. It seems like it's in the tendon that connects the femur to the glute on the right side. It's causing tingly, yucky pain up and down my leg. I can bear weight on the leg, but on if it's exactly straight. Any lateral movement causes some significant pain.

I don't remember doing anything that caused this. But Danielle helped me calm down (of course I'm freaking out, maybe it needs to be amputated, maybe my Ironman dream are destroyed) and told me it's probably just tendonitis and some ice, rest, and shiatsu massage will probably help.

So I'm making a shiatsu appointment right now. And obviously training is on hold until I can walk normally.

I can't believe this is happening! And right after I blogged about how good I felt!

5 comments:

Wes said...

Alright Ironman-in-training... You have to kick this in the arse....

Regan said...

Hang in there, Jess! You're doing all the right things - listening to a professinal, making the health appointments and icing everything. This too shall pass and you'll be even stronger for it!

Hugs and lots of positive thoughts,

Regan

Unknown said...

Maybe it's bursitis? I had a similar problem late last season (fixed by PT and Jill's training plan). Although mine didn't tingle up and down my leg. It was more of a localized soreness.

I'm kinda confused about where the pain is - on the front or back side of your leg?

Jessica said...

I have no idea what bursitis is, but I will look it up tomorrow. The pain is in the back, but it's so deep in the leg that it's really the middle of my leg. An update now, though, is that I can walk without a limp and stretching my leg feels good - so tomorrow morning I'm going to try to swim and do yoga, assuming I still feel like this.

Alison said...

Ice, ibuprofin, light stretching and rest. Take advice from the injury-prone girl: after a few days off, you'll be back to normal.