Thursday, April 19, 2007

The W run

In building up my run endurance, this week was a two-hour run. Danielle and I did it from home so that I could go to a program at my kid's school before I went to work.

We had two hours scheduled...but we didn't have to necessarily do hills. But hey, if they're fun on the bike, aren't they more fun on foot?

Maybe. Actually, the uphill was about the same bike or on foot; but downhill on foot was kind of painful instead of fun. I got cramps - I think because it was so steep - and frankly, it was a relief when we started going up again. We did a run whose profile looks like a W - Down a big hill, up a big hill, down a big hill, up a big hill to finish.

I was kind of lamenting the fact that whenever we run from Danielle's house, we always have to stay ON until the very end - her house is at the very top of the hill, and there's no break whatsoever between the top and her home. So you push push push to the top - and then you're done.

Unlike other runs, like from the Pro Club, you don't do something like turn onto the ending street, run flat or downhill or even just slightly uphill for a few minutes and sort of feel done before you're actually done. On runs from Danielle's house, you don't anticipate the end of the run and all the good things like showers and food that will happen after the end. In fact, the end of the run worries you because it's so steep. As Danielle says, "It makes you keep it authentic the whole way through."

Yup. And we wouldn't have it any other way.

As an aside, my heart rate was really low today. I'm sure that's a good thing, but it was a little odd. And my legs feel kind of weird - very very loose in the joints, but a little sore in the muscles. The combination of hot yoga with endurance exercise, I guess.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, you and Tammy both do the W runs! She seemed more upset about it than you, though. :)

Are you riding this weekend? Jill's got a hill ride leaving from Bridle Trails early on Sat a.m.. (She's given me a heart rate cap and there's NO WAY I'm going to be able stay within it... not because I'm a hammerhead but because the hills are steep, man!) :)

Anyway, it'd be great if you could join us! Let me know if you want more info (or check her website).