Sunday, April 01, 2007

Week Three Wrap-Up

Wow, this was a big week!

So, it's been going really well. I turned this week into something bigger, too, because I went to hot yoga more than planned and yesterday we decided to get what will likely be our last ski day this season.

Skiing was way fun, though. It actually snowed and was cold all day - and we found nice groomed runs with lots of paths through the trees for the fearless - i.e. the six-year-old wonder. Man that kid is nuts. And it's SO MUCH FUN!

So anyway, the week.

Nutrition: So, it was difficult. I kind of got off-track last weekend and didn't do a great job of getting myself back on. That said, I didn't weigh myself daily this week because it was making me nutty. So I took a break from the scale, but for the most part, I'm eating okay. Not perfect, but okay. I don't think I've gained any weight this week, at least. (Which also means I didn't lose.)

Running: As my posts explained, I've been reluctant to run. I'm not sure what's going on there. But once I start running, I feel great. One thing I noticed: I run a lot better when I'm not freezing. I'm really looking forward to 50-degree mornings; these mornings in the 30s just keep me so cold, and when I never really warm up, I feel stiff and just not smooth while running.

Cycling: This was a great week. I got solid, decent riding in and really enjoyed it. The Monday intense ride was crazy and hard; Wednesday was just a joy; and today I finally rode my tri bike! Danielle and I rode a ridiculously long route to brunch with the gals - and our route included two big hills. Actually, one big hill and one HUGE hill. On the big hill, Danielle and I were riding about 10 mph. I felt like this was how hard I'd be going if I were in a race. Then Danielle looked up ahead, pointed at a guy climbing the hill up above us, and whispered, "Let's catch him."

I didn't know I had it in me, but suddenly we're going 14 mph and we catch the guy! He was mad, too. I told him we only caught him because of our hot bikes.

On the huge hill, I felt amazing. Climbing was a dream. I could totally spin and just loved every second.

At the end, though, of this 57-mile ride, we ended up at the base of the hill Danielle lives on. And it was HARD to ride up that hill. I did it last week on my road bike, and frankly, I think it was easier on the road bike. So I kind of wonder if there isn't something that happens when the hill gets to a certain steepness - like, normal big hills are easier on the tri bike, but crazy steep humongous hills, like Danielle's, are better on the road bike? Or maybe I was just more tired. Either way, the gearing on these bikes is totally different - I have a 50/34 crankset on the road bike, 53/39 on the tri bike. Both have 12-25 on the back, I think. But that means it should be easier to climb the steepest stuff on the road bike. And the fact that I did it on the tri bike tells me for sure I don't need to change the crankset on that bike - I just need to ride lots of steep hills.

Anyway, I need to start riding the tri bike more. It's a very different feel, and I need to get my body to adapt to it. But I like it!

Swimming: It was a good week. I only got two swims in, but more than 5,000 yards done. This week I'm going to aim for three swim sessions, even if they're shorter. I feel my stroke improving and my speed increasing.

Strength training: I missed my second session this week, and I'm having trouble bothering to care. Next week I'll work on not missing those workouts!

Hot yoga: I did three sessions and I really feel it promotes healing and mental health. It was a good week overall. Plus, when I was skiing yesterday, I totally felt the benefit of Chair Pose in my quads. It was rockin'!

I'm looking forward to the lighter rest week beginning tomorrow - I do feel I need some more sleep. That said, training makes me happy, so life is good. :-)

2 comments:

Wes said...

Training makes you happy? No?!? ;-) I vote you were just tired! The differences in crank sets and gears is probably minute if you are going up just one hill, but if you are tired, or crawling dozens of hills, it gets amplified. You always continue to inspire us, Jess...

Regan said...

I agree with Wes, I think it was more you being tired than anything. You've chewed up that hill before and I don't think the different crankset would normally make that big of a difference.

And you ARE truly inspiring! :)

Regan