Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I'm a runner, too

Wow. The girls and I had a GREAT run this morning!

I had 1 hour and 15 minutes on my schedule at any pace I felt like running. But then, because I'm traveling next week and it sort of compresses this week, I really wanted to run 1:30. But I wasn't sure the girls would want to do that, so I figured if they didn't, I'd hit the treadmill for a few more minutes.

Nancy chose the route, and it just so happened that the route took exactly 90 minutes (including stop lights, but still). It was 8.5 miles long, so I figured we averaged a 10-minute mile. It definitely felt that way to me - the pace felt easy and comfortable, but not slow.

I felt incredible the whole time - even good enough for a sprint up the hill back to the club. And weirdly, I didn't feel anxious to get done when we were a mile or so away. Usually when it gets towards the end, I'm thinking ahead to the next thing I have to do (or want to do) and I get bored with what I am doing and want to move on and get it over with. Today, I just felt happy to be out.

We got a rain-free window, as usual. It was raining when I drove in, it was raining when I went to get my coffee before work. But it only sprinkled for a minute on us. We're so blessed!

But in not-so-good news, my weight is up. A lot. In fact, I almost don't believe the scale - my clothes fit like they always do, and I don't see much extra fat on my body. Regardless, the high number (see, I can't even admit to what it was) is a good trigger to get me to stop doing what I'm doing: eating fairly reasonably until I get home from work, then not meal-tracking any longer and eating whatever - and a lot of whatever.

So I'm going to make a promise to myself to meal-track in the evening too and stay under 2,000 calories per day, 50% from carbohydrates. And no more candy or sugar. Man. It just sets me off, and I don't recover. But I know all my activities will be easier if I weigh less, so I've just got to get back on it and make it happen.

4 comments:

Spokane Al said...

With all of your epic workouts could a portion of that weight gain be attributed to increased muscle?

Wes said...

Nice to hear your running is getting very comfortable :-)

Jessica said...

Al, Could be - but I don't see it. Then again, I don't really see that much fat, either. Today I was two pounds less than yesterday, so we'll see what a week or so of healthy eating does.

Andy said...

I hear you on the food part! Because of my living situation and the kitchen, I have been eating out all of the time. It might be healthy like Doc Greens, but most of the time it is of the chick-fil-a/ zaxby's variety. Oh and don't forget I work at Wolfgang Puck Express for my second job. Talk about food intake..... :-)

Murtha...