Monday, July 30, 2007

Happy Monday!

Another good morning. But first, a catch-up note.

I stayed up late Thursday night to finish Harry Potter. So I skipped Friday's workout, unless dancing half the night counts. :-) (Did we ever determine how many hours of dancing equals how many hours of running?) Saturday was a planned rest day (lots of kid stuff going on), but then Sunday it was rainy and nasty...so my friends bagged on our planned long bike ride and I was left to consider what to do.

I waited until early afternoon, and it cleared up. But still no friends to ride with. I realized I'd never ridden more than 20 miles or so alone (except in a race, but you're really not alone in a race, right). So I decided I should get out there and ride by myself.

I planned a 65-mile route, all areas I'd ridden before. I procrastinated a lot on my way out the door, but eventually I got going. And I found that I didn't really mind riding alone. I wasn't bored and I didn't try to talk myself into a shorter route. I just went along, did my thing, didn't bother to watch speed or stress about how fast or slow I was going, and just enjoyed being out. I wrote a lot of letters to my friends in my head (none of which will ever actually see paper, of course) and I played clips of Paul Van Dyk songs in my head - except when I was climbing any of the three big hills, where all thoughts were crowded out by the focus I had to put on turning the pedals. Wow, there were some hard hills on my route. A couple of times I actually thought about walking my bike, but then I pretended Danielle was ahead of me and I needed to keep going.

I ended up only being able to ride 50 miles because I had somewhere to be and not enough time to get there - that was because of poor planning on my part, not slow riding - but I finished happy, and confident that I can go 112 by myself if I have to.

So this morning I had to drag my behind out of bed to swim - the goal was 4 laps, or 1.2 miles.

Well, it started out as a good morning. My hubby fixed my car so that when you press a button up by the rearview mirror the garage door opens - so I don't need an opener anymore. Then in the Starbucks drive-through, the woman ahead of me paid for my coffee. Then the sun was rising over the lake and it was just so darned pretty!

THEN - Jodi joined me and Danielle for our swim, and she wore her Garmin for the four laps. Four laps - not including the out-and-back parts - was 1.36 miles on her Garmin...which makes our total mileage about 1.6! And I think that's more accurate than what I was going on before (otherwise, I swim WAY faster in races than in practice, which I don't think is actually true).

So I had a solid swim, then my favorite coffee (from Victor's, not from Starbucks), and it's a gorgeous day (yeah, I gotta work, but it's cool). Oh, and a friend dropped by and gave me some new music to listen to - the one benefit to having a Zune over an iPod is that the Zunes can talk wirelessly to one another and share music, so he gave me two hour-long DJ sets from a local DJ, and I'm halfway through the first and it's perfect. Makes me want to dance.

But maybe I should do some work - you know, since I'm in the office anyway.

5 comments:

wendy said...

sounds like an awesome morning, all right!

Good job getting out on the bike solo.

Runner Leana said...

Wow, what a great work out. Congratulations! PS - You've been tagged as a Rockin' Girl Blogger!

Andy said...

I am going to have to protest on the Garmin thing, because I have the new 305, and it does not work worth a crap in the water, except for the timer.

It was great that you recent swim workout day went so great! Those are the days which make this whole endavour worth it. I have gotten used to the longer solo distance rides myself, yet I would like to throw in an ultra long group ride from time to time.

Murtha...

Andy said...

Harry Potter.........

Love it.......

I am going back and reading book six after I just saw order of the phoenix at the theatres, and then I am going to hit up book 7.

Anonymous said...

Training solo lets you really get into yourself and know what and who you are. Learning and liking the alone time in training is the mark of a great athlete.
So many people do things because it is cool or a great way to be social. At the end of the day it feels so good to accomplish your goals because you did it!