Thursday, July 12, 2007

I'm a running machine!

Okay, maybe not. But still. I went out this morning at 5:30 for a 2.5 hour run, got it done, felt decent (some pain in my right arch, probably from the cute heels I wore on Tuesday, or maybe it was the flats that pinched and gave me a blister yesterday - darned hot weather), and felt happy. I felt like I could run forever...which is good, because I figure my Ironman marathon will feel like I have to run forever!

This was after I only ate around 600 calories yesterday; I'm a little better today at around 1100, but I burned 1500 in running and another 450 or so at hot yoga at noon. So...I know I need a deficit to lose some of the weight, but this is probably a bit extreme.

That said, the detox effect of eating less feels good. I love how it only takes a day to drop cravings - I walked by the candy basket outside the administrative assistant's office a few times today and wasn't even tempted.

I'm trying to figure out how to eat on STP; I think I gained 10 pounds on it last year because John drove the course and stopped ahead of us periodically and had candy, ice cream, and Hostess cupcakes in the van for me and my riding partners to consume. And consume we did. So sure, I burned like 6,000 calories that day - and, though I didn't count, could have consumed probably 8,000! BAD!

This year, I think I'll bring my Gleukos and Carbo-Pro and use that for fuel and only eat "real" food - bananas, apples, and maybe peanut butter on a half a bagel if I'm really hungry. No bars, no cookies. And especially no Hostess cupcakes or candy!

4 comments:

Wes said...

The book I bought described a woman that couldn't lose weight doing what you were doing. They changed her meal plan and increased her calories to 2300 and she started losing weight again. I know you have a history of doing what works for you, but just something to think about...

Anonymous said...

Good Luck on the STP tomorow.

Phil

Kate said...

I second what Wes says. And add, don't be stupid Jess. You KNOW all this nutrition stuff inside out. Don't let your inner fat girl control you. You're becoming an IRONMAN. They eat.

Sorry to be blunt.

Jessica said...

Don't be sorry, Kate! I thank you for caring - it made me smile. And I know you're right. Today I ate breakfast and lunch so far. :-) Healthy stuff, too! Seriously - I so appreciate you and Wes and everyone else that keeps me in line.