Monday, July 02, 2007

Slightly better this afternoon

So, I biked home this afternoon too. Now, I have to admit, the ride to work is largely uphill, and the ride home largely downhill (and a different route; to work I have to go a longer, safer way because there's no shoulder on the northbound side of the shortest route to work). And I wasn't completely normal; my speed was definitely lower than usual.

But I felt like I could ride a little better, at least. I think there are a number of factors going on here:

1) It takes a little while to get back to normal after a race.
2) I haven't been eating all that well - I refuse to weigh myself right now, but I think my weight is up.
3) My sleep is not normal. I'm sleeping more than usual, not less, but still - it's different from what I am used to.
4) I really do think my bike is broken and I really am bringing it to the shop tomorrow.

So I'm working on having patience with myself for #1, eating better for #2, and for #3, not going to bed at 9 p.m. anymore. Seriously, I do think there's a such thing as too much sleep.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you've got a good plan! Although I don't get the "too much sleep thing." :) I'm one of those people that thrives on 10+ hours. Anyway, keep us posted!

Andy said...

It comes back quicker than you think... I will say though, that you would have to force me to go to bed before 10p. I always have something going on, and if I am done with everything by 10p, I then usually veg out on the couch and watch TV or catch up on my mountain of books that I have purchased and not read.

Kudos on the biking to work thing. If I did not have to be dressed up (and there was a shower facility close by) at my old apartment, I would have rode almost every day.

Kate said...

Glad you're feeling better- you'll be your old self in no time!

Agree with you on the too much sleep thing- I've been having hard work weeks recently, but sleeping over the weekends is making it even worse. I'm not sure if 9pm to 5am counts as "too much" though!

wendy said...

Glad to hear you're holding off to prepare for the Big Day.

Sounds like you're irritated in a few areas, I bet when you figure out what's up with the bike, you'll feel better, and the rest of the list will improve as well. Perspective is huge!

Great job on the workouts though, you really have been doing great.