Friday, March 30, 2007

My intense running

I don't know what's up with me and running, but I was dreading today's run, too. I even went to bed super-early so I'd be extra rested. And still, when I woke up on my own, before my alarm, I debated not going.

But I did. I got my behind out of bed (what finally did it: remembering the ice cream I ate last night) and hit the gym. I felt sore and tight when I was in bed; getting up and moving made me feel better.

It was my intense running day, and I wanted to get it done before hot yoga so I'd be less dehydrated. Here's what I did:

Intervals: 2 minutes on at 8.5 mph (7:03 minutes/mile); 2 minutes off at 5.5 mph (10:54 minutes/mile)
Total: 30 minutes, 3.47 miles - average speed 8:41/mile

Ladder: Every minute, up by .5 on the treadmill until I can't stand it. Then down by 1.0.
So: starting at 6.0, going to 6.5, 7.0, 7.5, 8.0, 8.5, 9.0, 8.0, 7.0, 6.0.
Total: 1.2 miles - average speed 8:13/mile

(Note to Steven: When I was up to 9.0, I hit the button on the treadmill to tell me what the minutes per mile would be - 6:40, it said. I totally thought of you - you do that all the time! It inspired me to keep going for the full minute, even though that's a really hard speed for me to do. But only for now...I'll get faster!)

So not bad. Not bad at all, considering it's been a big week and I've added hot yoga sessions to my life. (Which is great for me in general, but it does take something out of me, too - it's not easy, and muscles can still get sore from it!)

Then hot yoga was wonderful as always. The more I go, the more I want to go. I'm thinking during the training season, twice a week is the best I can do most of the time. But in the off-season - yeah, I'm already thinking about that - I'll be able to go three times a week, at least!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Nice work on the intervals- seems like that 22 minute 5k might be in the near future!

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Good to see you, in your words, got your behind out of bed and into the gym. Sometimes the hardest part of training is just getting out the door, eh? Good job!

Stay tuned...