Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Back to fat

So...about all my plans for hard-core dieting after the NY Marathon. Yeah. That lasted a week, and a lovely week it was, with my weight dropping to a comfy 136.

Well, I don't know what caused such a huge backslide - running another marathon, perhaps, holidays, and general rebellion (in part brought on BECAUSE I could wear tight, sexy dresses comfortably - it put me into a place where I talked myself into believing I could eat and drink what I wanted today, because I look good!) - but today my weight was exactly 146.

Okay, so it is that time of the month (sorry for the TMI) and it is just after Christmas, but it's not cool. Not at all. And especially since the week after next I'm going on vacation in the Caribbean and I want to wear shorts and tank tops and bikinis. :-)

But fixing the damage is so much harder than causing it.

So here's the plan: I'm keeping it simple. Eat 1500 calories per day. Burn 500 calories per day in exercise. Lose one pound per week.

So far today (including dinner), I'm at 1350. Hopefully I can control myself and not eat anything else today.

Danielle said something interesting to me yesterday: The enemy of "great" is "good." I don't want to settle for looking "good" and being "good" (in terms of race performance) - I want to look "great" and be "great."

I tossed the cake, banana bread, and cookies that were in the house. There's still candy, but not good candy, so I'm not that tempted by it yet. But if I get there, I will get rid of that too. And today, we skied all day, but brought our own lunch so we didn't have burgers and fries in the lodge. And apres ski, I had an americano, not a mocha. Little victories - they'll add up on the road to great.

2 comments:

Alison said...

This time of year it's so easy to gain 10 lbs. without even thinking about it. It's amazing how even as triathletes, we fall into that trap!

Kate said...

Danielle is so wise! I will try to keep that phrase in mind!