Friday, December 29, 2006

Uh oh. I might be a skier

My profile says I'm a snowboarder, and I really want to be a snowboarder.

I mean, the clothing is much cooler.

But, unfortunately, I haven't improved on snowboarding since my first season. I got to an intermediate level and stayed there - despite the weight loss and massive increase in cardiovascular capability.

And my skiing skills keep improving.

A couple of years ago, on one particular steep intermediate run, I had to traverse from one tree border to another and almost fell on every turn. This morning, I still had to make turns, but much tighter than before.

On an advanced run, though, I was doing the full-traverse thing. But that's okay - that run was way steeper than I should have been on (that will teach me to not pay attention to signs). I didn't fall, though, and I didn't completely freak out.

Also, I always get nervous getting off the lift on my snowboard. On skis, I'm so much more relaxed. And I rarely fall when I'm skiing. I just feel more comfortable - and safer at higher speeds.

Being completely honest, I think I was meant to be a skier, not a snowboarder. And I think if I want to improve my skiing skills even more, I should hang up the board for a while.

So anyway, I skied this morning. Matthew and I had a fabulous plan: Get to the ski area before it opens. Get in the lift line before it opens. Ski hard for a couple of hours, and leave when the crowds get heavy.

Well, it worked perfectly. They opened the lifts early, so we got to ski from 8:45 until 11:15, when the lines started getting longer. We stood at the top of the mountain and saw the completely full parking lot, and knew it was time to go. Fortunately, we were exhausted - six runs per hour will do that to you.

And my diet has been good today! 1384 calories and it's 8:30 p.m.! If I don't eat again, I'm golden.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can always be both a skier and snowboarder. I have tons of friends that enjoy both equally. Though I have always loved skiing more - I'm horrible on a snowboard and too good on skies :)