Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Can't run, can snowboard

So I hurt my foot three months ago. And as any regular reader of this blog knows, I did a half-Ironman and three marathons in the last three months.

Obviously it doesn't hurt that much. But it does hurt every day. So yesterday I finally got it together and saw the podiatrist.

He told me not to run for two to four weeks. Uh, yeah. Maybe. So I got up this morning, ran six miles with the girls, then did a two-mile run on the treadmill to check my max aerobic pace.

I'll start that two to four weeks later. Maybe at Christmas, because it's a hectic time. We'll see.

Anyway, the max aerobic pace run? I did my two miles in 22:35. YUCK. It was painful to run that slow. But hopefully this will give me a baseline, and when I repeat the test four weeks from now, I should be faster.

On to snowboarding. The doctor did say I could board, so I went up this morning with some guys from work. It was incredible! Alpental is closed Mondays, and there was a storm Monday night, so there was two nights of accumulation. The snow was thick but light - deep powder. Of course, I'm a terrible powder boarder, but it was so amazing when I did get into a rhythm and could just float down the mountain. Those moments only happened when my co-workers weren't watching, though.

The doctor said skiing is better for my foot than boarding, because the foot is locked in place, so I'm likely going to ski the next time conditions aren't so ideal. But today rocked!

2 comments:

Wes said...

My my! You are hard headed :-) You'll be an expert snow boarder in no time...

Anonymous said...

I agree...stubborn may fit too! Be careful on the snow with eiter device. You don't want to do anything to jepordize crossing the finish line in Penticton next summer!