Sunday, June 17, 2007

How many hours of dancing equals how many minutes of running?

What a fun weekend. And I AM SO TIRED.

It started with Girls Night Out on Friday - Sarah, one of her friends and I got dolled up and hit a bar first to get ready - the bar had sugar-free Red Bull, so I was in heaven. Two vodka-Red Bulls later and a lot of gossip shared and I was primed to dance.

We went to the Last Supper Club in Pioneer Square to see Christopher Lawrence. Pretty much so did everyone else. The club was pretty packed, but the music was fabulous - exactly what I love - and I just danced and danced and only left the dance floor like once, to go the bathroom with the girls, of course. It was so nice to just let go and really hear the music and be fairly unaware of what my body was doing along with it.

Apparently my body was doing something that involved the use of knees, though, because I woke up with really sore knees - like, "I-just-ran-20-miles" sore. And my quads weren't super-happy, either. And...I'd gotten to bed at 3 a.m. and woke up at 5:30 so I could go ride a century. A very hilly century.

And of course, since I'd been out all night, I had to prove how Girls Night Out didn't affect my riding, so I had to ride well. And I think I did - we averaged 15.6 mph, including slow downs and stuff, so I'm pretty happy with that. I ate a lot of food throughout the day and drank a ton of water - I wasn't hung over, because I really didn't drink that much, but I think Red Bull dehydrates you just like alcohol does, so I find I really need to drink a lot more water if I have both of those things together.

In general, I noticed some sluggishness in my body on the steeper climbs; otherwise, I felt okay. I tend to be in front and set the pace on most of my rides. For the first 60 miles of this one, it was no exception - then I decided I deserved to get some drafting, so others took the lead. But I still prefer it in front.

So then, Saturday night was date night. John wanted to dance; he was jealous that I'd gone dancing with the girls the night before, and I couldn't let him down. So we started out with pretty much the same night as Girls Night Out: We went to the same bar for vodka-Red Bulls, then back to the Last Supper Club. The music there was good until about 11:30 p.m., but then it changed and wasn't our thing (we prefer progressive house/trance; they were playing Top 40 remix stuff, which I like but just can't get into dancing to in the same way). So we went next door to Trinity, knowing that on Saturday nights they have the right kind of music. And they did, and we danced until 1:30 a.m. and I was practically falling asleep standing up. Seriously.

So today has ben a quiet day; my legs are really sore obviously (and I made it a little worse by wearing heels last night; usually I like to dance in flats, but the outfit I had on last night required heels).

But it was actually worth it. Next weekend is Pacific Crest, and I do care about the race and I don't want to mess it up by drinking the night before or dancing...but I can't wait to go dancing again.

I'm short on running and swimming this week, but dancing all night has to equal some amount of running, right? Please?

3 comments:

Wes said...

LOL. Dancing is a great cross training exercise and uses different muscles than biking and running! I luv the way you compare how you feel after only getting 2.5 hours of sleep or so. I would absolutely die if I tried that. And then you went out again!?!? Holy crap. I don't think I ever want to be young like that again!! LOL.

Unknown said...

Dancing and then a century after a night of dancing and little sleep? That's a workout for sure!

wendy said...

Goodness gracious! Sounds like a fantastic girls nite out - and I can't believe you got up for the ride. I definitely would have passed, I'm an 8-hour a night kind of girl, or I strive to be anyways. =)

I am certain you got in plenty of working out over the weekend!