Monday, June 04, 2007

I want a sub 1:20...

in a sprint-distance triathlon.

I know it's within my reach. And I really want to push hard enough to do it.

My goal last year at Danskin was 1:24; stretch goal of under 1:20. I did it in 1:21. I also did Lake Sammamish and this past Saturday's Issaquah sprint in 1:21 and seconds.

So it's time. Cutting off a minute and a half is completely doable. There are so many things I could do to make it happen:

- Swim a tiny bit faster
- Transition better
- Run a tiny bit faster

I don't think I can bike much faster right now; however, a flatter course could give me a minute or so back.

But I'm feeling somewhat unhappy about my excellent race results, and I know it's because sub-1:20 is right there. I just have to take it.

I know this isn't the right year to work on speed. But at the same time, I'm going to see if I can put in one more sprint to my schedule (possibly post-Ironman; I'll have to see what races are out there).

Sub-1:20. I can do that.

In other semi-related-to-Saturday's-race news, my calves and quads are really sore. I skipped working out today except for hot yoga, and I'll pick up tomorrow hopefully normal.

3 comments:

Andy said...

I am sooo with you on this post! I am trying to get sub 1:15, because all the races I have completed in my age group, this is the breaker that gets you vaulted in the top 10 (assuming it is around a 500-700 person race).

I know that the two disciplines that I need to make it up on are the swim and the bike.

I have a tri in about 3 weeks, lets see how this plays out.

Murtha...

Alison said...

Weird...the sprint distances around here are 800m/17mi/5mi. My goal is always to break 2 hours. :)

wendy said...

Maybe getting some guidelines from a tri club or a coach will be helpful?

I know you have higher goals, but good job anyways on your Issaquah tri. I think you're doing great!