Friday, June 01, 2007

137.6

I've discovered the key to weight loss!

Shall I share it?

Okay, I will.

STOP EATING.

My husband has lost 25 pounds in a little over a month by not eating. I want to tell him that's not the way, he should be making good food choices and eating the right number of calories and blah blah blah, but instead, all I can say is, "Wow, you look like the guy I married!"

So now, on my rest week, I'm eating a lot less than usual. Like, yesterday it was a struggle to get 800 calories (despite burning 800 in exercise).

And this morning the scale read 137.6. Seven and a half pounds from my goal weight.

Unfortunately, I'll have to eat more next week when I'm back on a full training schedule. And tomorrow I'm allegedly racing, so maybe I ought to eat more today.

But I'm not feelin' it. This is actually what I would wish for, should a genie in a bottle show up and grant me some wishes: that food become purely a source of energy, not pleasure. That I eat only to live, not to enjoy.

This morning I feel that way. I ate a 110-calorie Pria bar before swimming for an hour, and I've had two cups of coffee with about an ounce of milk each, but other than that, nothing but water. I don't even feel hungry, actually.

And usually, a low weight like 137.6 (well, low for me, usually hovering around 140) would trigger bad eating - especially on a Friday, when I feel less disciplined and more ready for the lesser structure of the weekend. But not today.

Yesterday I ran for an hour and did hot yoga; today I swam for an hour in open-water (yay earplugs, they enable me to bilaterally breathe in open water, except when there are big waves from the boats) and I plan to go to yoga again.

I haven't given my race tomorrow any thought at all - I probably should. But it's just a tune-up; whatever happens, happens.

5 comments:

Andy said...

Hot yoga?

I have never done yoga or pilates, so I am just curious between hot/(and cold?) yoga?

I commend the both of you. I have tried the not eating thing, and I think that in order for me to be successful, I would have to wean myself off first. Last time I tried just not reduce my calories and not eat certain meals, I ended up binging(is that how u spell it?) 3 days later. Not pretty...

I think if I could make it to 160, I would be a lean, mean triathlon racing machine :-)



Murtha...

Wes said...

Yes. Everybody knows:

Not Eating = Bad

You have a tri tomorrow? Coolness!! Have a great time on your tune up :-)

wendy said...

Well, food is fuel, esp. for an athlete doing as much as you are, so I am not sure less fuel is the answer, but perhaps, cleaner food choices? Most of the girls I know earning their pro cards in the figure competitions eat ~ 3000 calories a day, all clean food, lots of chicken and veggies.

If your body fat is <18%, you should be burning up the calories! Maybe check with a professional?

On the flip side, I'm with you on the enjoying food. I certainly don't eat for fuel, I eat b/c I enjoy all the flavors! YUM. Since starting to journal what I eat though, I'm down 6 lbs in the first month...nothing like the 25, but it's at least in the right direction...

Kate said...

Not eating has not been working for me- but then, it has been stress related and generally balanced by poor choices.

Have fun tomorrow!

Spokane Al said...

A "110-calorie Pria bar, two cups of coffee with about an ounce of milk each, but other than that, nothing but water" - that is not a very balanced diet and this could come back to haunt you.

Moderation, not starvation is probably the better way.

You absolutely rock in your training and you need the fuel to keep up your magnificant gains so please be careful.