Wednesday, June 06, 2007

I hate swimming

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood since my poor swim at Issaquah, but I think I hate swimming. The last two days, I got in the lake and pretty much couldn't wait to get out.

On the other hand, the thing that saved me from boredom today was swimming faster than usual and fighting through the panic that arises when I can't breathe as easily. So maybe my dislike of swimming will translate into faster swimming because I'm motivated to both swim hard enough to not be able to think anymore (just like I couldn't think on my bike or run at Issaquah, due to my hard pushing) and get it done sooner.

---

It turned into a pretty bad day. While Danielle was riding down my office's street to meet me for the Wednesday strenuous bike ride, a car turned left in front of her into a driveway, forcing her to slam on her brakes. She apparently flipped over her handlebars, landing on her right side. Her leg and hip are really sore; she also hit her head and completely broke her helmet.

So obviously I didn't ride - I took her back to my office, helped her clean up, and drove her home.

Ugh. Makes me hate cars. I can't believe the guy didn't look - and didn't stop once she was on the ground.

And even more than that, it's a busy road with lots of traffic - and not a single car stopped to see if she was okay. (Once I was there and she was limping down the road, using my bike for support while I carried her broken one, a woman in Lexus SUV did stop and offer to carry our bikes in the back of her car and bring us wherever we needed to go; however, we were just about there, so it wasn't necessary.)

So send Danielle your happy and quick recovery thoughts - she could definitely use them right now.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry the swim's giving you a rough time. Here's hoping it gets better soon. I also hope your friend heals quickly. I've never had a close encounter with a car, but I hear so many of these kinds of stories and it's scary!

Wes said...

Swimming can so definitely get boring. You have to basically lose yourself into it. I've been thinking about that MP3 player of yours alot :-)

So sorry to hear about Danielle! Give her our best, and we are glad its nothing worse than what it is. We will count ourselves fortunate.

Kate said...

Poor Danielle!

Good luck getting back into the swim of things :-) You're pretty good at it, considering you don't really *love* it- and hey, at IM it's all about bike...

Steven said...

I hate swimming too. But what are you going to do when you want to be a triathlete?!

Too bad the starting days of triathlon wasn't an arguement about you was better...cyclist? Runner? Beer Drinker?

Now that would a fun tri to do!

Alison said...

Man, every time I hear about a bike crash like that I think it could have been anyone. A co-worker of mine was hit last year by a drunk driver at 1 p.m. on a Sunday -- go figure. He ended up with some pretty serious injuries. (He's OK now.) I feel pretty lucky.

snowygrl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.