Thursday, June 14, 2007

A theory

So, I have this theory about triathletes. Tell me what you think.

We live these really disciplined lives (for the most part). We go to bed early and get the right amount of sleep. We regulate the number and type of calories we eat. We exercise frequently and for the "right" amount of time and intensity. And many of us do this while we have families, friends, and jobs, and since we're driven, Type-A personalities, we constantly strive to be great at all of it.

And then, something starts to explode out. I envision it like those Jiffy Pop things you put on the stovetop - one little kernel explodes, then another, and suddenly this perfect little flat cover becomes this amorphous burst of aluminum foil.

And once the foil blows open, everything else follows - training, eating, work, whatever - until there's no discipline left.

I'm not there. I'm trying to close the lid on it, in fact.

But sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just let it go, let everything fall apart, and see what happens.

This week, my training is on track, pretty much. I ran for an hour on Tuesday; yesterday I went to yoga and biked for an hour; today I ran for two hours at my run-forever pace. I'm feeling physically strong and good, and right now motivated for IMC (except not for swimming, I'm never motivated to swim. But I do it anyway...).

I just wonder what's going to happen tomorrow. And Saturday. And Sunday. And...

I know I need to just go one day at a time. But I'm an organizer, it's not my nature to just go with things and believe everything will work out. I'm not sure I can put the lid back on my desire to explode out of the disciplined life I make myself lead most of the time.

Then again, maybe I do just need to get some more sleep.

2 comments:

Wes said...

Maybe we are more like a good muscle. We work hard, build up, then get stretched to far and tear ourselves down so we can build back up stronger. Think about it....

Regan said...

Well this struck a cord, to be sure!

As someone who has "exploded" in the undisciplined direction, I would like to say that I've asked myself the question "what if I just let it go?" Well, what if I did? Looking on how I exploded, that would mean (and no exaggeration here) 600lbs by the time I'm 50. Followed by an early death, I have no doubt. So giving up isn't an option. Giving up means dieing.

And even though I've done my explosion, I still try, every day, to put a lid on it. One day at a time. Trying to slow it down. Eventually to reverse itself.

Hint: a good counselor helps. :)

Hugs to you, Jessica. Sometimes I forget we are so very much alike. Especially when you're on the bike two blocks ahead of me. :)

Regan