Monday, October 16, 2006

Honestly kind of sucks

It was pretty painful to own up to what I ate this weekend! But the lure of FitDay's charts made me do it....even though I was debating not. I am such a data freak.

So I tried to reconstruct what I ate all day Saturday and Sunday. Sometimes I ate in restaurants, which made it a lot harder to guess - so I'm unsure how accurate this all is, but at least it made me think about what I did this weekend and how it will affect my attempt at weight loss (not so positively, as it happens!).

It's so hard when I do a long run - I'm just so hungry! Even if I eat a lot while I run, I still feel like my body is playing catch up the rest of the day and the entire next day.

Okay, enough excuses. This weekend wasn't great, but I did do a 22 mile run and sprinted at the end back to the car. I figure if I can do that, I'm not sure I have the right to complain about a couple of pounds, a few extra brownies eaten, or anything else.

Today I just did indoor cycling and upper-body strength training. My arms are getting more definition, which is fun. I told Aleks and Latosha the only reason I lift is to get hot arms. (And yeah, that's actually true - I mean, I like other benefits, like not losing muscle mass, getting stronger, etc - but the primary motivator for me is sleeveless dresses and tank tops.)

I theoretically start a taper this week leading into the NY marathon (three weeks from yesterday). We'll see, though - I am not sure I need three whole weeks. Experienced marathoners, please feel free to correct me!

5 comments:

Aleks said...

You already have hot arms! We are all in search of perfection aren't we? :)

LoneStarCrank said...

22-miler?!!@# Great work! Enjoy the accomplishment of the run, the effort you put forth the make it.

Laura said...

What my coach for Ironman said was, at this point in your training, you are as fit as you are going to get. Anything on top of it is just going to make you tired and hinder your performance. It's hard to stop at this point because you are so used to training, and by stopping you will end up being a little antsy and really want to get back out there. Tapering effectively is as much an exercise in discipline as the training itself. Give your body a well deserved break and let it absorb all the good things you have gotten it to do. Yes you may tack on a few extra lbs in the process, but your run will be SO MUCH BETTER if you give youself a chance to rest and recooperate. You can always diet afterwards. Enjoy your run. Worry about your ass in jeans after. :)

Jessica said...

I know you're right, Laura. :-) Thanks for the reminder! And I like looking at it as another way to incorporate discipline in my life - I probably need that!

Andy said...

Everyone else I know that is a pro tapers (for better or worse). I think the philosophy is that on average the results take 2-3 weeks to show up in your workouts/races, so that is why you want to taper. Your body recovers and you get some rest, and your results hit abou the time of your race.

I am thinking about using FitDay. Thank you for telling me about it. I have enough trouble keeping up with my blog and everyone else's, but I know that eating is the one thing that is keeping me from blowing through the 170lb barrier. I like how I look right now for the most part, but for fitness and race purposes, I would like to lose another 5-7 lbs. Call it compensation for having an intro road bike that is heavier than all of your awsome bikes that you guys have.

Murtha...