Friday, October 20, 2006

What it's like to be fat

I've been thinking about the state of being fat a lot lately. It started with a re-consideration of the title of my blog - Fat Girl to Triathlete. I think it's pretty clear at this point that I am a triathlete, and I'm not a fat girl. My transition is over.

But even though I'm pretty comfortable now with the idea that I'm not fat (which isn't to say I don't have fat, but that if someone were to describe me, they probably wouldn't say that I was a little heavy or chunky or rubenesque or any other allegedly kinder word that really just means fat), I'm not sure I'm ever going to get over having been fat.

Here's what I remember.

Shopping was painful. I would pick up some article of clothing, usually pants, and think it would be big or at least fit. I'd take it into the dressing room, put it on, and be shocked. Are my legs really that fat? Is my muffin top really that large? If this is a size 14, what size do I really wear? Where should I shop?

Eventually I compensated by buying only men's jeans. Length and waist width are more concrete than 12-14-16-18, but since I didn't know how to translate width into women's sizes, but I sure could translate 14 to "fat" it worked better for me. In case you're wondering, 36x30 before I had my second child; then even those didn't fit and I wore mostly size XL women's skirts (ankle-length, of course).

Going out was difficult. I had to drink a lot so that I could dance, laugh, and enjoy my friends - it took a lot of alcohol to lower my reserve and prevent me from trying to hide in the corner. Here's a picture from that time (yeah, that's me on the left). REALLY unattractive. Oh, one other thing - I had to wear that ugly dress because I felt like I looked so awful in cute pants and tank tops - which is what all the other girls wore that night.

And even earlier in my life (and this part is hard to admit given my feelings on the subject NOW, as a Christian and a parent), I compensated for my lack of self-esteem by becoming sexually active earlier than the rest of my friends, drinking alcohol earlier (and more often!) and pretty much being a punk. If there was something to do that my friends would think was cool and my parents would think was horrible - like, skip school, sneak out my bedroom window, ride in cars with teenage boys - I did it. I was pretty fortunate that I was the worst-behaved of my friends, though, since it limited my access to alcohol, drugs, cigarettes and really bad people who could have messed up my life. (As it is, I think there's little long-term effects from my poor behavior, for which I thank God often.)

When I traveled on public transportation, I had to take care that I fit all of me into my seat. I wasn't so big I needed a second, but I would try to shrink into my seat.

I had a boyfriend once who threatened breaking up with me because I couldn't keep up with him when we went hiking. Another time, I hiked up the back of Half Dome in Yosemite with my friends, but I brought books to read in the car in case I needed to turn back before we got to the top. (I didn't...but wow, it hurt!)

People treat you differently when you're fat. I don't think I really knew it at the time, though I sort of thought it. However, it was complicated by the fact that I felt so awkward in my own skin. But now I have experienced it.

Like the first time (really, only two years ago) when I walked by a man and watched as he looked at my chest. That never happened before. And when my husband's friends make comments about his hot wife. (Huh? What hot wife? It's pretty jarring for him, too, since he didn't marry the hot chick.)

Plus, you think of yourself differently. I didn't have to do anything to get new self-confidence; actually, I didn't even know I had changed. But friends who knew me before tell me I have.

And there are cool experiences: like the first time I picked up a few articles of clothing, brought them into the dressing room, and found that they were too big - like, 2 or 3 sizes too big.

However, as much as I know what sizes I wear now and have gotten comfortable in this body, I do always feel like I'm on the edge of a cliff and I could slip off at any moment. One ice cream, one brownie, one greasy fried food could push me over the edge.

Or one day of not exercising when I intended to - that could turn into two or three or weeks.

You think I'm being dramatic? I don't. I watched as a male co-worker today ate a burrito (1,000 calories), two big cookies (500 calories) and an ice-cream sundae (400 calories - it wasn't huge). Plus breakfast (usually he has a chocolate muffin and a coke) and who knows what for dinner - plus beer, because it's Friday at Microsoft and we drink beer. (We meaning not me.) I could do that, too. I've got the capacity. But if I did, I'd gain a pound every two days or so. Oh, and that guy is not fat.

So I'm driven to maintain where I am, or possibly improve. I threw away ALL of my fat clothes (and honestly, I had saved quite a bit - it was only about a month ago that I finally got rid of the rest). I found a ton of friends with whom I exercise and discuss food issues - so we keep each other as on track as possible.

And fortunately, I haven't yet forgotten how it felt to be fat. I hope I never do. So the blog title stays - and still makes sense as I continue in my weight-maintenance struggles and work on becoming a better athlete.

10 comments:

Regan said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post, Jess. I needed that reminder. I'm still struggling, as you know, to loose all my weight, and it's a great reminder of what I still have yet to accomplish and what I have already been through. I didn't work out two of my scheduled days this week (as you know, today was one!) and I'm feeling awful for it. Knowing I have friends who are on my side and while they understand what stress can do, KNOW that I have to get back to it. So I will - gonna go for a walk tonight.

Thank you thank you. You're such an awesome friend.

Regan

PS Oh, and may I add, that it felt WONDERFUL to climb around my attic these last few days and a) have the energy and b) not fall through the roof!

In the sky, above the clouds said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
In the sky, above the clouds said...

Jessica--
You might not remember me, I posted on your blog over a month ago. I just ran by your blog again today and may I say, Thank You. Thank you for being the proof that I needed that I too am going to get somewhere with the changes that I am making in my life. And that that I will not always be "that" girl. Life is meant to be lived, and I was enjoying life but not living life. Thank you for the reminder that change does happen. I do know that I will always have to watch what I eat and that I work out. It just feels good to know that others are out there doing the same.
I can't wait till I can say that I went from a Fat Girl to an Athlete. I'm glad that you are keeping the name.
just doing this all day by day---
Susie

Kate said...

I totally get how you feel- I don't think I'll ever lose the fear or forget how it was being the fat kid. I have every confidence that you will never feel that way again- you look amazing, and even when you indulge, I bet you don't eat like you used to! (Not that I'm assuming you ate badly- I just know that I did...)

Mmem said...

Just want to say love your blog (found it via Boatgirl), congrats on your transition, and remembering is what will keep you on THIS side of your transition. I have made that transition, too (less extremely, on both sides), and you really never forget what you felt like back then.

Best of luck on your triathlete journey and your life journey:-)

Alison said...

I found your blog through Jessi's and I've been stalking you for awhile. :) I know how you feel about being ready to slip at any moment -- just one bad day and you're back wearing your "fat" jeans. I'm scared of that, too. But the thing is, since I discovered how much I love excessive exercise, it hasn't happened...yeah, I've gotten a little out of shape here and there, but I always go back to training for something because I love it so much. Just remember that -- you don't stay in shape because it's something you HAVE to do, you do it because it's something you love to do.

LoneStarCrank said...

Amen sister... I can remember the liberating feeling I had getting rid of my "fat" pants. Of course I kept them around for a few months after losing a good bit of weight (just in case.) That was until I realized the internal confidence I was seeking.

Even though it's not easy, after losing weight, I have the confidence to realize I can do it and, with a healthier lifestyle, I will keep it off (ever after a bad day or two). I'm learning it's a lifelong process, but well worth it!

Wes said...

Jessica, that picture is so inspiring. I don't know how you have been or where you were, I just know you as you are now. Like I said, a beautiful person. That kind of post helps clarify a lot of the things I've been reading in your blog over the last couple of months. Thanks for sharing...

Aleks said...

I have spent almost every day with you since February and never really believed you were fat... ever. I couldn't, no matter how hard I tried, picture it. And no matter what, you will never be the "fat girl" to me because I see how much will you have in everything that you do.

I hear over and over again stories about people that lose a lot of weight just to gain it back and then some. Then I remember how blessed I am to have you and everyone else (blogging world and non-blogging world) supporting us through our challenges. Especially on the dark, cold and rainy 5 am mornings when we just don't want to run!

Unknown said...

Hi Jess, Just catching up after being MIA for a couple weeks. Really love this post. As I struggle to keep up my training amidst all the craziness that my life has become, this post reminded me that I do NOT want to be fat again. Ever.