Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Yesterday was perfect!

So my intent is to eat 1200 calories a day now. Yesterday I was just under at 1050, which I know is too little, but trust me, I had some extra left over from Sunday, so I was good. I went to bed a little hungry, but I wasn't particularly hungry during the day.

Today will be a little more challenging. I didn't work out yesterday, so I didn't have the physiological appetite trigger, nor did I have the psychological justification to eat more. But today I ran for a little over an hour and then did upper-body strength training.

But we'll see. Making lists of reasons I should eat well is helping me. Here's today's:

1. The bulges on my hips that you can see in the mirror when I'm wearing my running tights and lifting weights
2. My favorite pink corduroy pants are tight
3. Sugar crashing sucks
4. Greasy, fatty foods only are delicious temporarily - then they give me a belly ache
5. Sugar on my teeth is yucky
6. CHAFING (I know this was on yesterday's list, but my abrasions still hurt! A lot!)
7. I want to bike faster
8. Cheaper than swapping out bike parts
9. High cholesterol runs in my family
10. Because I can!

Today's data

Food:
Pre-workout: 1 110 cal Pria bar, milk in coffee: 140 cals
Breakfast: Cottage cheese, plum, ham, cheese: 265 calories
Lunch: Rainbow roll, 350 cals
Snack: Clif Nectar bar, 160 cals
Dinner: Chicken-noodle soup, broccoli: 250 cals
Evening hunger: Turkey and cheese, 150 cals
Total for the day: 1315 calories!

Exercise:
Run 1 hour
Strength train 30 minutes
600 calories burned

6 comments:

Wes said...

I'm sorry Jess, but I just can't believe that if I should be eating 2600 calories a day to get to 185 in 11 months, that you should be eating 1250 calories a day. You work out way more than I do.

Jessica said...

I weigh around 140 right now. My metabolic rate is around 1500. So to lose weight, I have to create a calorie deficit, and it's fairly unsafe to go below 1200 calories a day - but I've done that before, and I survived. :-) It's what I did on the 20/20 program (that Regan is now doing).

Aleks said...

Hmmmm... I ran my watch from the minute we started running through the end of the weight training. I burned 925 calories which includes the time we stretched between the two. How am I 325 cals over what you burned today?!?!? Total running time on the watch for everything was 1:45... the heart rate was high, which I think is due to being sick, but 325 is a huge difference!

Wes said...

That's cool. You know far better than I do. I just had this image of you being a dried up husk lying by the side of the road. Here's to getting rid of the lumpy things.

CharPopp said...

I think I have to agree with Wes - it really doesn't seem like 1200 calories / day over time is sufficient to maintain your exercise level - especially only 4 weeks out from a marathon. I know that with 20/20 you receive lots of nutritional / dietary guidance and oversight - I'd really encourage you to check in with a nutritionist or dietician on what your caloric intake should be in order to maintain your fitness level and lose weight safely. Admittedly, I'm no expert, but I would be concerned about not providing your body enough nutrients to keep it active & *healthy* as well as about sending it into "starvation mode" and having it decide to just hang on to every calorie you feed it. It seems like some advice from an expert (as opposed to the peanut gallery like me! :) ) would help you be more successful, faster. :)

Rachel said...

Sugar crashing does suck. And I hate when I get McDonald's cravings! It tastes so good then but my gut hurts for days afterwards.