Monday, October 30, 2006

I take it back!

Yesterday I was somewhat unhappy because it was a rest day. I thought some more about what I wrote - wanting to run NY faster - and reconsidered, for two very important reasons.

First: I thought about my best runs ever. They weren't alone. They weren't PRs. They were barely even timed! But they were with my friends.

I imagine that if we get a nice, brisk day in New York, the air will remind me of growing up (pollution and car exhaust aside, I love the smell of fall). The sun will shine down on us as we cross bridges we'd only ever traveled on by car before, and it will continue to chase us as it peeks through the tall buildings. Silly men will whistle at the three girls in pink skirts, and little girls will hold out their hands for us to high-five as we run by. We won't be looking at watches or heart-rate monitors or split times - we'll be checking the pulse of the city and soaking in that energy together. No feet or legs or sides will ache. It will just feel FUN and we won't even want it to end, not even when the finish line is in sight.

And second: While I would never attempt to change the plan at this point, how dare I even think of it when Danielle has stayed with me in BOTH of my marathons when I slowed down and she could have gone faster. Am I really so competitive that I could be so callous?

I am so blessed to have great friends with whom to experience this marathon. I better never let myself forget it again.

6 comments:

Wes said...

Don't be so hard on yourself for thinking this thing through. Your blog is almost like you are thinking out loud :-) Your actions speak way louder than your blog...

jbmmommy said...

Glad you've found the bright side, doesn't look like you had to search too hard. If I were the slow friend I would completely understand your feeling about wanting to push harder, but I would also appreciate your willingness to stay with me to run. I'm sure that your friends feel the same and I wish for you wonderful weather and a great marathon!

Tammy said...

Hey, I was reading your blog while you were reading mine :) How fun is that??

Friends are good, and PRs are good, too. I find that as long as the course of action is agreed upon up front, everyone is happy. I like to see friends get PRs.

Charles said...

It is so hard to keep perspective and not get lost in th erace hype. It is great that you remember why you race and that it is not always for the time but sometimes just for the fun of it! Good luck!

Kate said...

I agree with Wes- it's natural to have those thoughts, but actions speak louder.

And man- you're really making me want to run a slow marathon in a fabulous city with some great friends!

Alison said...

I've done both: ran with friends and enjoyed the day, and ran hard and gotten much better times. In the moment, I always enjoy the day better when I'm relaxed and not pushing myself to the limit...and afterward, honestly, I always feel much better about myself! Last year I pushed my ass off to run a sub-1:50 half-marathon, and I did it. And you'd think I'd have been proud of myself, but instead I felt like crap. Not only was in pain for days, but I kept thinking: "I can't bear to run another half-marathon again and get a BETTER time. That was way too painful."

But when I ran my first marathon, I did it with friends. I took it easy, ran a 10-minute pace, and felt amazing the whole way. I never hit the wall and felt amazing when I was done! And looking back, I wish more than anything I could re-live that day.

It's your decision. But there will be other marathons, and other chances to PR, in your future. Not every race has to be raced. And I can guarantee that even if you finish NY in 6 hours, you will still have great memories.

Best of luck!