Friday, January 19, 2007

DST is not for me!

I'm totally mad about this Daylight Saving Time thing.

In case you haven't heard, Daylight Saving Time is basically adding a month: three weeks in March and one week in November and November.

According to Tom O'Brian, who heads the time and frequency division at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in Boulder, Colo, "There's hope that there will be more time when daylight overlaps with normal activities."

Apparently waking up at 4:30 a.m. to ride my bike 45 miles or run 12 isn't considered a "normal" activity. Wake up, Tom! The triathletes are all out by 6 a.m. every day!

Last year, Nancy and I started to experience - and get used to - daylight towards the end of our 5 a.m. runs sometime in March. And then April came and took away our morning sun for another month.

This year, I guess I won't experience the loss of sunlight - when DST happens, it won't be light yet before 6 a.m. But I don't want DST at all! I want all my daylight in the morning!

Plus, this is the really gross thing. My official training begins March 12. March 11 is the day that the sunlight moves from around 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. Isn't 6:30 reasonable for sunlight in the Spring?

Well, obviously I think so. In fact, I wish that we had MORE sunlight in the morning! We don't need DST, we need MST - MORNING saving time! Let there be light from 4 a.m. on from March 1 until Sept. 30!

Who's with me?

(In other news, I'm headed out of town overnight to go cross-country skiing and snowshoeing with my book club. Looking forward to, uh, more vacation. :-) I've never done either cross-country or snowshoeing, so I'll definitely have something to say when I get back!)

3 comments:

Andy said...

I will have to respectfully disagree...


I HATE it when it gets dark by 5:30p in the winter time!!! Most (not all) of my workouts occur in the afternoon when I get home, and it is just discouraging when I am not able to go out on my bike, etc...

I also just hate it in general that it gets darker earlier. It makes me think some nights that it is 9-10p when it is actually only 6p.

Murtha...

Kate said...

I completely agree!

Jessica said...

Hey Andy - You don't have kids, huh? :-) I need my mornings.

Kate - what does New Zealand do, the same thing we do?