Friday, January 05, 2007

I confess to a weird thing

Yesterday, I was doing the stair climber at the gym for a boring cardio workout. I had planned to do 45 minutes.

29 minutes in, I got dizzy and lightheaded. I started to see stars, and I tried very hard to get to 30 minutes even, but I couldn't do it. I had to get off and sit down for a few minutes.

Did I stop the rest of my workout? Of course not; I just transitioned to a recumbent bike and finished.

It was so weird. My HR was completely aerobic. My RPE was normal for that HR. But I felt so awful!

My circuit training workout at noon was fine, so I thought maybe it was because I ate too many calories just before my workout and my body was too busy digesting to focus on me.

But today, it happened again in indoor cycling. It wasn't as bad - I didn't have to get off the bike or stop pedaling - but I definitely had to take it down quite a bit (and again, I wasn't at a high HR or RPE!).

So, I'm not psyched about that. It makes me worried that my month away from running will cause me to lose so much running fitness that I won't be able to get back easily.

Also, my foot seems to have been healing, but I got the cortisone shot yesterday anyway. Now that pain is gone, but a new pain is there. Hopefully that will go away quickly.

Finally, my weight was 142 today - it's been up the last two days, despite proper eating and meal-tracking. I'm guessing it's water and the fluctuation of when I've been going potty. Danielle did my body fat today, but it was after spinning (so I was dehydrated) and I hadn't fasted. It came out to 28%, which I don't actually believe. My body fat is usually 22 to 24%. But I'm not worried about it; it's a baseline. Danielle said we're going to do it once a month, weighing ourselves with clothes on after spinning, and see whether we can drop the number. So the number itself doesn't matter (at this point), but the path the number takes over the next few months.

3 comments:

Wes said...

Ummmm. Weirdo :-) That must be a bit scary. Hopefully its just a quick chemical or dietary thing. Been doing anything abnormal as far as eating, drinking, taking vitamins later? Is this your first "off season"? How did it go last time you took off for a while from running?? I'm so full of (crap) questions todady!!

Wes said...

and I can't spell either :-)

Alison said...

That sounds scary. I know what you mean, though -- I'd probably finish my workout too. One thing that does that to me is not getting a lot of sleep OR getting too much sleep. Especially too much; I end up feeling lightheaded and dizzy.