Saturday, April 08, 2006

Cycling 101

I took a class today about riding my bike in a group (paceline) and basic road riding skills. It was in Seattle, so I rode there - the long way. :-) Not all the way from home, because I had planned to ride back alone, but from the Microsoft campus in Issaquah. I figured it would give me 30 miles each way (20 miles on a bike trail, 10 on a road with a good bike lane), and I was right on target.

Matthew rode with me there and we averaged 17 mph, which is pretty good considering what I did yesterday. I got there exactly on time, so I was happy about that, and it only rained a few drops. On the way home, though, it decided to pour. Fortunately my friend Wendy (who I think I met in the Pro Club locker room, ha ha) was in the class too and felt like riding. Originally she planned to ride halfway back with me, then turn around and head back to her car. But then because of the rain and because neither of us had major time pressure today, we decided she would ride with me all the way back to Issaquah, then I would drive her back to Seattle. So that was nice - I had company the whole way back, which really does feel safer. But we got WET - I have never ridden in such rain before! My "waterproof" jacket soaked through. Oh well. That's what you get when you live here! We averaged 14 mph on the way back, but I was pretty happy with that, too.

Let's see, what did I eat today? A whole lot. Fortunately there's not much to snack on in the house, so I was fairly good. No cookies. :-)

Food:
Breakfast: Bagel and cream cheese: 300 cals
Snack: Some new clif bar (nuts and pretzels or something? Pretty yummy): 220 cals
First half of lunch: Turkey and cheese on 1/2 bagel: 250 cals
On the road: GU, 100 cals
Second half of lunch: Turkey and cheese on 1/2 bagel: 250 cals, coffee with half-half: 40 cals
Another lunch when I got home from Seattle: Leftover chinese food, 500 cals; M&Ms, 100 cals
More food because I was hungry: Cheese and crackers, 130 cals; peach, 70 cals
total so far: 1960 calories

Exercise:
Bike 60 miles plus 7 in class: 2400 calories

Total calories burned for the day: 3500 calories (I need to say this, because I'm likely to eat dinner too, and I just have to point out that I've been burning calories outside of the time I was riding/wearing a HR monitor)

No comments: