Friday, April 07, 2006

The Gambler's Run

Big good workout today! Hard, too. 30 minute swim followed by all-out indoor cycling followed by the Gambler's Run. Here's how it works:

Warm up at a slow jog for 3 minutes - I initially picked 6.0 on the treadmill as my jog speed
With a standard deck of cards, shuffled with two jokers, choose a card every minute for 54 minutes. They mean:
Numbers 2-10: Increase grade by .5 (so 2 is .5, 10 is 4.5)
Joker: Increase speed by .5
Jack: Increase speed by 1.0
Queen: Increase speed by 1.5
King: Increase speed by 2.0

Aces reset everything - grade and speed. The kicker, of course, is that if you're running at 6.0, and you get a 7, you have to start running at 6.0 with a 3% grade. Then if your next card is a King, you increase to 8.0 - but you don't lose the grade!!!

So it was WAY hard, and halfway through I had to drop the base speed to 5.5 so that a King was a 7.5 instead of an 8. My heart rate was in the 170s to 180s the entire time - it was WORK!


Today's data:

Food:
Pre-workout: Banana and coffee with milk: 110 cals
Breakfast: Bagel with cream cheese, 400 cals
Um, I'm finishing this on Saturday, and I forgot the rest. :-(

Exercise:
Swim 30 minutes
Indoor cycling 60 minutes
Run 60 minutes
Total calories burned: 1250

2 comments:

Shannon Morgan said...

That is such a cool idea! I've been trying to switch up my workouts 'cause I was beginning to plateau - I'll try the Gambler's Run. I have a 10K coming up - I bet it helps. Keep up the awesome work food-tracking, etc!

Shannon Morgan said...

p.s. I shared this idea on my blog - hope you don't mind - I included your links.