Saturday, April 15, 2006

A joyful ride

Today's ride was just great. I wasn't sure of the total distance before we started, but guessed it was between 50 and 60 miles. Turned out it was 58 - exactly the distance on my half-Ironman - and the rain held off on the first half of the ride, which is very hilly and has lots of turns and is on the road with cars (mostly), and then DUMPED on us for the second half on what I had called the "flat and fast" part. It wasn't fast - the wind was very strong while it was raining - and my goal was to keep it above 17 mph. I did it, with difficulty - but Matthew couldn't keep up, which made me feel accomplished. I wore him out!

I had one incident that I wasn't sure how to handle. Two runners were taking up most of the trail, but mostly on the left (going the same direction as I was, so they should have been on the right). I didn't want to bother them since there was so much room on the right, so I didn't yell "on your left" or anything. When I was very close, they started moving quickly to the right - where I was! So I swerved off the trail onto (wet) grass, and actually managed to keep most of my speed and ride on the grass for a few minutes, avoiding danger to the runners and to myself, then I resumed riding on the trail. I realize now I should have yelled "on your left, move right" to them or something, but I didn't think of it at the time. But I'm happy that I didn't hit them or fall off my bike.

One other thing I'm really happy about: I ate A LOT more today on the bike than I usually do, and I think it made a huge difference. Except for the last 17 miles, I ate about every 30 to 45 minutes. I think on the half-Iron, I'll do what I did today, except in the last 17 miles I'll switch from bars to GU, which I know I can tolerate on a run. I was definitely very hungry and about to bonk when I reached my car at the end of the ride.

Let's see if I can reconstruct today's eating:

Food:
Breakfast: Bagel and low-fat cream cheese, banana and peanut butter: 450 cals
On the ride: 1 PowerBar "trail mix" bar, 210 cals; two other Power Bars, 460 cals
Lunch: Subway sandwich, 350 cals, cookie, 140 cals
When I got home: Slice of pizza, 300 cals (John was eating it, it looked yummy)
total so far: 1900 calories

Exercise:
Bike, 4 hours and 15 minutes
2000 calories burned

No comments: