Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Red spiders and sore glutes

Oh my goodness, I have no idea what I did yesterday but my glutes and hamstrings are way sore. Wow. I didn't feel like swimming, so I didn't get up at 4:25, but I planned to get up at 5 to go to indoor cycling. Then Camille woke up and she was crying because apparently a red spider came out of her bed (bad dream), but she wanted me and she's so cute and cuddly that it just seemed much more fun than indoor cycling on sore glutes and hamstrings. So I cuddled my little baby and when she told me to stay in bed and not go to cycling, who was I to argue?

Plus, last night after dinner Gabriel and I went for a short bike ride, and apparently Camille cried that mommy left. Of course, John didn't tell me this until I was trying to get out of bed, so the guilt trip combined with the soreness combined with the little 3-year-old in my bed...and duh. No workout.

Which is fine. I think I can make up the time from today (I was supposed to swim half an hour and bike one hour) later in the week. And if not, it's about recovery, and soreness does not equal recovery.

Plus, it continues my challenge to eat properly. I was successful again yesterday! And I was embarrassed earlier this week to write down my weight...Monday morning it was 145 point something. This morning it was 142.0 - very nice. This tells me I can drop a few more fairly easily, and gives me the motivation to do it.

One more thought: Yesterday in circuit training, this woman asked me if I was happy with my body. She is very thin - probably a size 2 or at the most, 4 - and runs, and lift weights, and is strong. And is obsessed with being "skinny," which apparently in her mind she's not. So I answered no, of course not, because I don't think any woman ever is. But I told her that the thing that makes it okay for me to be not perfect is twofold: One, many of the things I don't like about myself aren't going to change with all the diet and exercise in the world, and two, I make up for my chubby areas by pushing my body to do more. I may never be the hottest chick in the room, but I'm often the strongest or the one who can run or bike the longest, etc. So I'm never going to be a competitive athlete or a beauty queen - so what? Compare me to the rest of the t-ball moms from Gabriel's team: I'm one of two who aren't obese, and I'm quite certain I'm the most athletic. For that matter, I'm probably more athletic than most of the dads. So there.

It's really easy to see all the flaws in the mirror. It's really hard to see how unimportant they are. I'm working on that.

So anyway, keeping me honest, here's today's data:

Food:
Meal: Breakfast
Food: English muffin, ham, cheese, milk in coffee
Cals: 265
Carbs: 33
Fat: 7
Protein: 18

Meal: Lunch
Food: 12 oz vegetable beef barley soup, turkey breast
Cals: 345 cals
Carbs: 21
Fat: 10
Protein: 38

Meal: Snack
Food: Granola bar and yogurt
Cals: 230
Carbs: 40
Fat: 3.5
Protein: 9

Total so far:
Cals: 840; Carbs: 94; Fat: 20.5; Protein: 65

The rest of the day:
A pork burrito for dinner, with a small brownie and ice cream when folks came over for a meeting. Not fabulous, but not a binge, at least.

Total calories - I'd estimate 1600 to 1800, Carbs around 200 for the day, fat about 45 for the day, protein about 90 for the day. Not horrible.

No comments: